Thread: Diecast Collection

Default Diecast Collection

I have been slowly acquiring die-cast cars for a few years and my wife made the mistake of saying, "Why do you buy those, you just keep them in the dresser drawers."

So I decided to find a proper display shelf for them, and I came across one on walmart.com. I only got one, but I can at least put most (I have tons of Hot Wheels, but it's hard to find good 1/18 scale cars) of my good ones out.

Anyone else collect?
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

A few more

...and the wife's Beetle collection
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

If you know someone with a table saw, that first shelf would be easy to build.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

When I was younger, I used to collect a few things. Then I had a couple of family members pass away, about a year apart. They were both serious collectors, but when they were gone and their stuff was left behind, the "stuff" seemed pretty unimportant. I lost a lot of my taste for collecting. Don't get me wrong, I still have some "things" I like a lot (my Miata and my bike, for instance) but if they were gone tomorrow, I'd be fine. People >> stuff.

I have cases of Hot Wheels, but not into it like I used to be.
    I do like the HW Dragstrip Demons and the M2 line.
    Been getting into Redlines too lately.

I only have two 1:18 diecast cars... one each of my last two cars. Black Porsche Cayman, and a Black (they don't make Midnight Blue Mica) NB Miata.

I suppose I could go find a diecast of all the cars I've owned, but I'm not sure they made diecast models of 1972 Yuctan AMC Gremlins (yes, I "owned" one for about 18 months... it was a hand-me-down from my mom when I was desperate for a car, and I was damned glad to have it!)
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Got more in today....no shelf, so I'm leaving them in the boxes for now.

cool. I have a case of 48 Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars from the late 70's somewhere in my parents' attic. I should really hunt those down. I pick-up the bigger scale models once in a while, when I see one that is irresistible.

Here is my all-time favorite, and a few others (guess I should dust them):
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

You guys need to start collecting these also.

Last edited by ray_sir_6; 02-26-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: That didn't work well

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Collectibles: My Mom used to call them more crap to dust...

just sayin
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

If you look at one of my pics (the bugs) you can see we don't dust. :P

Cool collection. I have a few sitting on a bookshelf but nothing like your collection.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I have not built shelves, nor shot all of mine, but the bulk of 'em are here.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...squid/diecast/
    -Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

One of my cats was pissed off at us today. He wanted to go outside and we wouldn't let him. So he took it out in an unusual way.....

solution:
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."