Thread: Solstice Officially $19,995, 177hp, 18"s

Default Solstice Officially $19,995, 177hp, 18"s

From Lutz's Blog:

---------------------------
    Doing a great roadster for $35,000-$45,OOO is a feat mastered by several automobile companies. In fact, it's relatively routine. It's doing that desirable, high-content roadster for under $2O,OOO that challenges an automobile company.

That’s what we promised we would do with the Pontiac Solstice when we announced we would put it into production, and that’s what I’m officially announcing today, here on GM FastLane, for the first time.

When Solstice goes on sale this summer, it will, officially, be priced at $19,995 — and that includes the $575 destination charge. You heard it here first.

That’s not for a stripped down model, either. That sub-$20,000 price gets you 177 horsepower mated to a five-speed manual transmission, 18-inch wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes, glass rear window, and a CD-player as standard equipment.

So there you have it. A roadster inspired by the European classics of yesterday, styled very much like the concept car of a few years ago, priced under $20,000 as promised today. Solstice is a true driver’s car, and it will be in Pontiac showrooms this summer. We look forward to your reactions...
    -----------------------

18" wheels!? Standard? Sheesh! What will the upgraded wheels be? *crash* *bang*

Plus, my MSM still makes (1) more HP!

It's cheap, though. They'll move some metal with that pricing.

S.

They had me at 177... then they had to through in the 18"s. Now lets wait to see how big of a pig it is once it is on the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    They had me at 177... then they had to through in the 18"s. Now lets wait to see how big of a pig it is once it is on the scale.
    Yeah but it's a pretty pig.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

They may come with a base MSRP of $19,995, but I doubt you'll be able to find one like that on dealer lots. It's a marketing gimmick.

When Lexus brought the IS300 to America, the base MSRP was $29,995, priced specifically so that they could market it as "starting under $30,000. The change from $29,995 to $30,000 (or $19,995 to $20,000) is insignificant financially, but it represents a huge psychological barrier to a lot of people.

However, when the IS300 actually started selling, you couldn't really get one for under $30k. The "optional" $1500 sunroof package was installed on every car that left the assembly line. I'd be willing to bet the same thing happens to the Solstice.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

No way I'm paying $1500 for a sunroof option on the Solstice...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    No way I'm paying $1500 for a sunroof option on the Solstice...
    Hey, if the new Mini convertible can have a "sunroof"...

I saw one of those convertible minis with the sunroof open, I was like WTF...why???
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

so how much does the bastard weigh??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    Autoweek says 2855.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Autoweek says 2855.
    Someone told them that they needed to keep the car weight proportional to the wheel weight. To get away with the 18" boat anchors, they decided to add some weight to the car.

Autoweek says 2855.
    That's more than an S2000.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Autoweek says 2855.
    I think it has something to do with that fancy retractable hardtop....
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Autoweek says 2855.
    I think it has something to do with that fancy retractable hardtop....

The Solstice/Sky twins have a manual soft top, iirc. From what I understand it's a bit like an erector set as well - no reaching back with one hand and pulling that top up...

That, and when it's down it eats up about 1/2 of the minimal, oddball-shaped trunk space the Solstice has to begin with.
    Iain

More confirmation of the Solstice's sub $20k base price on AutoWeek. Heavy weight or not, this thing undercuts the Miata by $2,000 and along with it's Saturn twin is going to be a BIG problem for the Miata. Most people won't care about it's weight... they'll look at the "performance" numbers (177 HP), look at the 18" bling-blings, and then see that it's $2k less than the Miata. It'll be a "no-brainer" for those with... no brains!

Of course, this competition could be -- and should be -- good for the Miata. It'll push the Mazda engineers harder than they've been pushed for... 15 years! Yes, there have been a few competitors, but these look serious. I'm not giving up my Miata, but I think lots of people that might have bought a Miata will take a hard look at these two ragtops...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

FWIW, I've always wondered about the "variable trunk space" convertible tops. I mean, sure, you can put some more junk in it with the top up, which I suppose is a good thing for trips. But then again it always seems like you forget something in the trunk and, bam, no top down.

Lutz has a point that it's a lot different to create a desirable convertible for under $20k than under $30k. But what he seems to be forgetting is what lies at the core of that equation: weight. As many have already pointed out in this thread, a 3000 lb. "small" convertible will be a pig. It'll take more than that 177 hp (at the crank, I'm sure) to pull it around with some alacrity. For God's sake, can't they keep it light?

Chuck