Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCA Time Trial #2 and Autocross #3 4/30-5/1 at Mineral Wells Airport

Default PCA Time Trial #2 and Autocross #3 4/30-5/1 at Mineral Wells Airport

The Maverick Region of the Porsche Club of America is hosting their Time Trial #2 (4/30) and Autocross #3 (5/1) at Mineral Wells.

If you have not one of their time trials, then you are missing out. You get three or four sets of timed laps on a course that flows like a road course, so you will be in third and fourth gears rather than just second gear. In each set of timed laps, you will get one warm-up lap followed by three hot laps where you do not stop between each lap. These are a lot of fun.

Based on their normal rotation, they will likely use the following course for the time trial:

I don't think I've actually ever run P2 before... Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    I don't think I've actually ever run P2 before... Should be interesting.
    Crap. Here comes another FTD.

Well right now I am having an issue with the engine... Tried to switch over to standalone ecu and it appears that it was defective and flooded the engine with the car off when it went into a fritz opening the injectors full bore. Cylinder 1 is now very low in compression and the other 3 are lower than they were last time I checked. I am hoping that I can get the rings to seal again.
    Last edited by slowchildmiata; 04-20-2011 at 09:25 AM.

I had good luck years ago with squirting a lot of "Mystery Oil" in the cylinder and spinning the engine for about 10 seconds with the ignition disabled...then repeated it again. Got a lot of smoke after starting but after the smoke went away, I had my compression back from a gas flooding issue like you described. I'm hoping you didn't get a hydro-lock situation and bent something.

It is a very simple question that I hope you've already checked, but.... the 99+ uses a different type of injector than the earlier Miatas. I can't remember which is the high impedance versus low impedance...but is your ECU looking for the wrong kind of injector?

Hope that helps.
    Maniac Mitch

It should be course 2 run clockwise. The map is slightly out of date. The numbers are work stations. Due to problems with the surface, corner at station 2 is not as sharp as it appears on the map. Corners at work stations 1, 3 and 5 are the same as course 1. Corner at 4 is much deeper (sharper) than course 1, and although not labeled, the left turn after start/finish before work station 1 is deeper also. Times are generally slower than course 1. But this is a blast. Hope you guys can make it to this event.

Maniac Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch View Post
    ... Hope you guys can make it to this event...
    What about you, Mitch? Your Miata up and running?

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch View Post
    I had good luck years ago with squirting a lot of "Mystery Oil" in the cylinder and spinning the engine for about 10 seconds with the ignition disabled...then repeated it again. Got a lot of smoke after starting but after the smoke went away, I had my compression back from a gas flooding issue like you described. I'm hoping you didn't get a hydro-lock situation and bent something.

It is a very simple question that I hope you've already checked, but.... the 99+ uses a different type of injector than the earlier Miatas. I can't remember which is the high impedance versus low impedance...but is your ECU looking for the wrong kind of injector?

Hope that helps.
    Maniac Mitch
    I've run the engine more and it feels ok. I had a small vacuum leak when I test drove it which also translated into a boost leak, but the engine seemed to run fine. I will run it some more tonight and then do another compression test to see where I am.

It was purely an ecu issue. We can talk in person about it. I hadn't thought about bending the rod. I never felt like I got to a hydrolock situation.... So it never crossed my paranoid mind. Based on my last test I had 140psi on cylinder 1 and the rest were all aroun 160psi. My gauge reads a little low and used to show 170psi across all 4.

I plan to attend the TT. NOT. Headed to Lubbock for Chris's formal.
    Last edited by bnordin; 04-25-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Driver

I won't be at this one...tying to get a few more things on my car out of the way before the BMW ...have fun guys

My Miata engine is not back from the shop yet. "Next week" was what I was told yesterday. So, I won't have a Miata for the TT #2. Bummer. To add to it, I will be out of state for the May event...so next PCA event I can go to is 6/11. ;-(

Maniac Mitch

PS...Slowchild...I'm soooooo glad your engine is doing better. My programmable stand-alone ECU experience dates back quite a few years, but will be happy to share what I can remember. Hope you get it running strong by next week-end!!!

I have signed up. Looks like not a lot of attendance so far. I guess that means more laps for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TxCoyote View Post
    I have signed up. Looks like not a lot of attendance so far. I guess that means more laps for me.
    I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I'm in.
    Me 2

Does anybody have an in-car video for P2? I couldn't find any on youtube looking for one. See if it jogs any memories.

I am signed up for the Autox on Sunday, see you all there!
    2008 Evolution GSR

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    Does anybody have an in-car video for P2? I couldn't find any on youtube looking for one. See if it jogs any memories.
    You don't need any extra help

Signed-up for the TT. Bye-bye tires.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

It has only been one weekend off and I am jonsing for some driving.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    It has only been one weekend off and I am jonsing for some driving.
    Bad...the Div seems like its years away. I had to drive this weekend or I'd be tempted to start tinkering with the car.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast