Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo vs supercharger

Blog Entries

Default Turbo vs supercharger

Which one would be better on a 1.8 99-00 Miata engine? I'm thinking track car not street.

I've seen both kick my butt on the track but I would have to say the supers seem slightly more economical and if they fail you can still drive the car home by undoing the belt.

I have a 1.8 with a M45 SC, and inter-cooled. I haven't driven a turbo set up so just speaking what I know.

I do have a very smooth power band, it pulls hard all the way to red-line. Pretty much instant power but very controllable.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Blog Entries

I've been thinking about going with the sc bc of how diff it is to keep a turbo engine cool. What's a great super charger and don't you have to tune it? And is it hard to tune?

I have the Jackson racing M45 with a power card setup. Once it was installed and the timing advanced, there is no tuning. Just 93 octane gas and hit it! I know the M62(more power than the M45) is out there and I know there's a cold side one out there too. As far as the best one..I'd refer to Gary @trackdog, the man is a freaking genius!

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

m45 is for kids, i have a m62 on my 99, stock block and 335cc with adaptronic ecu, puts of 245hp and 220ftlb, my power band is smooth on paper but violent in the car.

what you have to do first is ask your self do you want to have a lot of bad ass power and deal with emissions bs every year or do you want mhm power and not have to. if it's really a track car you do option 1 and only drive it to the track if you have to, my inception sticker is 2 year out of date but my reg. is spot on.

limit is going to be your trans as the 99 5speed start to brake after 200hp

Blog Entries

Well damn ha I want to reach that 245 hp and 220 tq but that emissions suck. Is there a more heavy duty transmission you could get so it doesn't eat away at it over 200hp?

I wouldn't say for kids but to each his own. Sounds like your car is pretty badass. I don't track my car and I have plenty of power for the street. I have no issues with passing any emissions testing. I use a very simple set up and it works for what I need.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    I wouldn't say for kids but to each his own. Sounds like your car is pretty badass. I don't track my car and I have plenty of power for the street. I have no issues with passing any emissions testing. I use a very simple set up and it works for what I need.
    How much did your sc cost? The m45.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-92 miata View Post
    How much did your sc cost? The m45.
    Around 3k with the powercard. I'm not sure how much install would cost. I got a bunch of stuff done at the same time.

Blog Entries

Ok cool not bad.

If you are out Mckinney way, let me know and you can drive her and see how the "kid" SC feels. :)

Blog Entries

Sounds awesome I'm south of ft worth. Send a message where you want to meet and I'll see what I can do

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

i would post video but the cam mount gets pulled off center in the first lap from the massive gs, true story.

the car is stripped to 2300 full tank and driver with the best suspension on the market. ran 1.29 at hallete before suspension and a better drive in my car ran 1.28.5.

with power card i dynoed 200, after ecu and tune 245. don't get power card go straight to a ecu, there is a megasquirt for the 99 and the other option is adaptronic. as for a trans, get a mazdaspeed 6 speed, not a 01+ 6speed, has to be a msm and a 3.63 rear gear but the 6speed is the most impotent.

a mp62, fmic and all the stuff you need for under 5k, not knocking titanescape but do not waste your time on a 45. max power of a 45 on a 99 is about 170hp and thats after a lot of extra work and parts.

Blog Entries

Right on I'll look into that but are you saying put a Mazdaspeed 6 speed onto a 99 5 speed?

[QUOTE=jeff_man;231679]i would post video but the cam mount gets pulled off center in the first lap from the massive gs, true story.

Haha...massive G's!!! (gotta love the inside joke from your retardation lol)

Jeff_man....not taking it as a knock. You have a lot more built into yours than I do, that's just a fact! Mine's a 96 with the m45, air to water inter-cooler, advanced timing and JR Headers. I did some suspension work as well. I've never had it dyno'd so I have no idea how much HP I'm getting. All I know is when someone thinks they can get all up on my ass, I hit it and C-YA!!! That's what makes me happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-92 miata View Post
    Right on I'll look into that but are you saying put a Mazdaspeed 6 speed onto a 99 5 speed?
    It's hard to sometimes understand what jeff man is trying say when you don't use the translator tool this forum offers to help decipher jeffs cryptic code, but afterusing it I think what he was trying to say get the 6 speed trans from msm, you don't take take the internals from the 6 speed and put them into the 5 speed it's impossible. And recomends the 3.63 for the rear end (diff) put most importantly to have the trans when going up to the power lvls he talking about. At least that's what the translator tool deciphered out...lol

Blog Entries

Haha I know it's impossible but I thought I was mixed up somewhere

After you have been here a while, you will learn to speak Jeffanese. It's similar to Yoda talk...
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast