Thread: Calling Altiain: RX8 tranny woes

Default Calling Altiain: RX8 tranny woes

I have a friend with failing synchros on his RX8 6sp transmission. I hear this is not uncommon. Does anyone have any experience with the right place for a fair deal on transmission work or used/rebuilt trannies? Iain, maybe? I know you have been converted away, but may have had to deal with an RX8 transmission issue. He is in The Colony, FWIW.

Thanks, guys.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

The 2009 tranny is supposed to be better and swaps right in I believe. Sorry I don't know any businesses up there.

I think it's an easy swap, but it's not a direct bolt in, iirc. I believe there are some sensor changes. Call Motorsports Enterprises Racing at MotorSport Ranch for details - I know they've done a lot of '09+ transmission swaps into the older cars.

Problem is, the newer box is much more expensive. Your best bet is probably to find a low mileage '04-'08 box at a dismantler and then pay someone to swap it in (again, I'd recommend MER if he has an afternoon to take it down there - they can swap it in a couple of hours).

As I mentioned by email my 2nd transmission is still sitting at MER, and I still own it. It's got a bad 3/4 shift fork, but the synchros were in good shape when the box was removed. I have no use for it anymore, so he's welcome to the box for parts if he needs it. Have him call Shannon McMasters at MER and mention my name. If there's any questions contact me and I'll call MER.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks. He has taken it somewhere, I think. I told him about the parts trans. We'll see what he decides to do.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!