Thread: SCCA Annual Tech Update

Default SCCA Annual Tech Update

Moderator's Note: I decided to move this topic to "Autocross Tech and Technique", since it deals with Autocross annual tech.

Thank you, please drive through. - altiain

Ok guys, it's official. Annual Tech will be Sat. Mar. 5th at Pennington Field beginning at Noon. Garcia advises he will stay as long as there are cars to be teched, but after 230, if no cars are in line, he's gone. I know this does not help the guys/gals going to Mineral Wells that day, but for now, that is the only annual tech day listed. There may be some time during the event on the 6th, but don't count on it since the first event is usually a pretty trying day for everyone...
    Phil O.
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Thanks for the update, Oz.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON SCCA ANNUAL TECH

As many of you are aware, Equipe Rapide honored SCCA Annual Tech last year. This meant that once you had your car inspected at the special SCCA Annual Tech day, you just had to do a "Buddy Check" at the ER events... just like SCCA events. Saved you from having to line up for Tech at each event.

For 2005, the SCCA is planning a much less invasive review during Annual Tech. For example, they are not going to be pulling wheels off, checking brake pad thickness, etc. The Board of Equipe Rapide felt that this poses an increased a risk of problems during events. Because of this,
    Equipe Rapide will not be honoring SCCA Annual Tech at their events in 2005.

I mention this only because some of you may be planning to have your car "Annually Teched" this Saturday, figuring that you'll then be set for the season at both SCCA and ER events. This Annual Tech will still be good for the SCCA events, but you won't be able to get out of "event tech" at ER events.

OzCop may be able to provide additional details on the SCCA Annual Tech -- what is required, what to expect, etc.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    For 2005, the SCCA is planning a much less invasive review during Annual Tech. For example, they are not going to be pulling wheels off, checking brake pad thickness, etc.
    Are you sure about that? I swear I heard the head of SCCA tech announce at the ER event last Sunday that you needed to bring jacks and jack stands to the SCCA annual tech. Why would we bring them if the wheels were staying on the car??

And isn't that same Head of SCCA tech guy also a board member for ER???

I would defiantly appreciate some clarification please.

Ok, perhaps I can shed some light here, and relieve any confusion. The SCCA Solo II board voted last night to drop the additional requirements above and beyond the official Solo II rules governing annual tech due to some redundancy, since the rules provide for re teching a car at any time the tech chief desires. This came about after great debate, which took more than half the meeting time. The board simply agreed that the rules as written in the rule book were sufficient, and saw no reason to make drivers jump through hoops to acquire an annual tech. Inspectors reserve the right to go as far as necessary for additional inspection if they deem it necessary. Also, I appointed Tommy Saunders and Mark Madarash as additional annual tech inspectors, mainly because John G. lives on the extreme east side of the metroplex, and even though he generously advised he would be happy to do an annual tech at his house to anyone who wanted one, those on the other fringes would have a difficult time getting there. Both of these guys are long time SCCA members and have worked tech at Regional, Divisional, and National events in the past, and are very capable of effecting an acceptable annual tech. Saunders lives in Southlake, and Madarash lives in south Fort Worth, giving us adaquate coverage to secure an annual tech assuming you can't make the one this Saturday. I am sorry that ER has taken this position, however, the board saw no reason to continue rules that are not listed in the rulebook. John G. was the only dissenting vote on this issue. The other issue regarding Kestrel's predicament, a call to Doug Gill in the national office revealed that any member remains active after his/her membership expires for a period of 30 days.... Forgive the long reply, please...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Thanks OzCop I greatly appreciate the information!

Let me make sure I up to speed since I do drive a Miata.

For Annual Tech, we will need to be in compliance with all items listed in section 3.3.3 Safety Inspections of the 2005 Solo Rulebook.

Ok, I'll pipe in as well. There are two things at play here: the SCCA's internal discussion/decision about Annual Tech, and Equipe Rapide's decision about whether or not to honor SCCA's Annual Tech in 2005.

SCCA's discussion
    There has been a lot of discussion about the SCCA's Annual Tech program* on their eMail list. In order to participate in this year's Annual Tech program, each driver must have:
    • - A hard copy of the SCCA's Solo II Rules book, and
      - Proof of membership in the SCCA
    Reasonable things to require... but (and there's always a butt, I mean but ), I had two questions for the SCCA:

First, since they have graciously made their Solo II Rules book available online in PDF format, I asked if I could just print that off and bring that (rather than spend the $20.00 for a hard copy... TB price and all... :P ). Their Chief of Tech said no, you must present a hard copy.

Secondly, I noticed that my SCCA membership ran out on the last day of February 2005. I've already sent in my check, but haven't received my 2005 membership card. I asked if I could simply bring my old card and a copy of the check I wrote as proof of my continuing membership. Their Chief of Tech said no, you must present either (1) a valid membership card or (2) a note from your mother... I mean from the SCCA in Topeka... saying you are a member in good standing.

Much discussion ensued, with most people -- our revered OzCop included -- saying "let's be reasonable". I'm not sure where that discussion ended up, but I think the Chief of Tech has been instructed to.. ah, er, um... be reasonable. :)

Then discussion began about how strict the Tech would be this year. OzCop described that discussion and the resulting decision by the Solo II Board -- basically a less strict annual tech, but still within the rules set down by National. So in answer to your question POS, yes your car will need to be in compliance with all items listed in the 2005 Solo II Rules book, the inspectors just won't be going further as they have done in the past.

Equipe Rapide's decision
    Equipe Rapide learned of this [slight] reduction in how strict the annual tech will be -- I'm guessing the SCCA's Chief of Tech, who is also a member of the ER BoD may have mentioned it to the ER President... but that's pure speculation. Anyway, the ER Board felt that this "reduce tech" poses an increased a risk of problems during events, and decided not to honor SCCA Annual Tech at their events in 2005.

So there you have it. Remember, getting your car passed through SCCA Annual Tech will still save you time at SCCA events... it just won't do you any good for ER events.
    BTW, I am not making any point about the SCCA, just trying to be clear about what led up to Equipe Rapide's decision...

------------------------------
    * For those of you who don't know about the SCCA Annual Tech program, the SCCA allows an SCCA member to have his/her car teched closely once per year (only at a special "Annual Tech Day"). If the car passes tech, the owner receives a sticker and a card. Then at each SCCA event, the owner simply has to have a buddy do a quick tech and sign off on the card. No need to pull your car up to a line and have it teched at each event. In 2004, Equipe Rapide honored the SCCA Annual Tech, saving you time at both the SCCA and ER events.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    First, since they have graciously made their Solo II Rules book available online in PDF format, I asked if I could just print that off and bring that (rather than spend the $20.00 for a hard copy... TB price and all... :P ). Their Chief of Tech said no, you must present a hard copy.
    Actually the SCCA made that rule, not anyone on the local level. Here is what it says on the National SCCA Website.
    The on-line and downloadable versions of the Solo Rulebook are not official documents -- the only official Solo Rules are the printed Solo Rules as produced and distributed by the SCCA Solo Department. If you would like a copy of the printed Solo Rulebook, contact SCCA Merchandise via e-mail or call at (800) 770-2055.

You are correct sir, and the response I got from the people trying to "be reasonable" was simply to borrow someone's copy when you go up to the Chief of Tech. Good idea, and one I would employ if I was looking for a CB solution.

Default scca annual tech

All the posts here show a sugar coated view of what really happened.

Last year the tech procedures for SCCA annual tech included a true inspection of brakes, ball joints , suspension and brake fluid in accordance with the rules. The buddy system is also allowed by solo 2 rules and ensured compliance with the requirement to ensure the car was in event condition and that the entrant checked his car. What the scca solo board voted was that the inspectors cannot raise your car and cannot remove your wheels to check your car. In addition they cannot require you to have fresh brake fluid in your brakes. They are to look at only what can be seen from outside the vehicle.
    I do not know about you but that does not meet my criteria of an annual tech inspect, if the texas region scca board does not allow the tech group to look at the car once a year for possible life threatening problems with the car and that includes removing the wheels to look at my brake pads, and suspension it appears that ER did correctly by saying they would not risk their personal assets for the texas solo board. The ER president as well as 4 ER board members were last years and are this years scca tech inspectors . If this group will not accept the inspection in ER don't you think that there just might be a huge safety problem that scca solo does not want to admitt

Default Re: scca annual tech

Quote Originally Posted by chief
    Thanks for chiming in!

I don't often agree with you, but I do in this case, whatever your rationale may be. I think "annual tech" is, in general, a load of crock when applied to any vehicle over 3-4 years old. If the whole world got together and worked on their cars together and looked over each other's shoulders while doing maintenance, there wouldn't be a problem.

The casual tech inspects done at area autocross events are not impeding start times at our events - yet they get someone other than the car owner hands-on with the key safety-related areas of the cars. And I think they're effective when done at every event.

Feel free to mark your calendar, as it may be the only time this year where I agree with something you said...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Default Re: scca annual tech

Or a less combative, more friendly/reasonable view of what happened...

Welcome to the MME Forum John.

Default reply ldunn

You would be supprized how reasonable i really am, last year at annual tech at least 10 people used MY rule book for annual tech. The rules do not say whose book it is just you have to have one. The rules say you must be a member and untill doug gill indicated that there is a 30 day grace period by scca on the card your card must be current or you must have a note from the mother ship not my position this is what the scca national office told me.

Default Re: reply ldunn

You would be supprized how reasonable I really am

I don't believe it.

Just kidding JG - welcome to the board. I have to say that knowing that, I'd agree with ER's decision as well. What's the point of Annual Tech if you aren't allowed to do a thorough inspection of the vehicle?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Figure I'll make the trip to Bedford tomorrow, anybody else planning on going??

Nope. ER is higher on my priority list than Texas Region this season, so if ER won't honor it, I can't see the point in going.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Nope. ER is higher on my priority list than Texas Region this season, so if ER won't honor it, I can't see the point in going.
    Yea but I like the cone shaped sticker I got last year! Figure I'll get another one for 2005.

Onething and I were talking about having lunch at Jason's Deli over by Pennington prior to Annual Tech!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What time is this thang happening? If the weather is nice, I may cruise over and check it out.