Thread: Won't Idle......all of a sudden

Default Won't Idle......all of a sudden

Ok..gonna try to cut the story short...

96 Miata, JRSC m45, Intercooler, timing advanced...car's been running great, no issues at all. On the way to grab the kid...driving real slow through a neighborhood..RPM's drop to like 1K and I feel a bit of hesitation for a sec(like when u need to put the clutch in) so I blow it off cause I'm in like second and just not giving it gas. I give her some and off it goes np. I get to the school and pull in to park and as soon as I push in the clutch, RPM's drop and she dies out.

Start up and same thing..won't idle..revs fine, drives fine but won't idle. Drive to a baseball game..runs smooth as can be...but still won't idle. My gas is low so I get gas(93 octane) and exact same thing. On the way home I jump on her, grab a second gear chirp(plenty of power and SC whine) and take it on home. Pull in the garage and same thing. I check eveything I can think of, no loose connections, vaccum hoses plugged in, power card showing green..WTF??? I can say this, when she was in the garage and the idle was "chugging" seemed like she was burning rich. This might be just cause of the bad idleing but thought i'd mention it.

Thanks for the help!
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Chirp....chirp....Nobody??......Chirp...chirp....c hirp(the sound of crickets) lol

Just thought about something....

If there is a hole on one of the silicon connectors that go between the Jackson Racing Intercooler and the intake, do you think that could cause an Idle issue?

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    If there is a hole on one of the silicon connectors that go between the Jackson Racing Intercooler and the intake, do you think that could cause an Idle issue?
    Yes I do!

Cool..something else to check! i didn't even think of that last night.

Chassis Designer

Just a thought but is it possible that the idle screw lock down has loosened up and backed off. I had this happen to my 96. It ran great just no idle and die as soon as I took foot off pedal

It could have, last night i did the 10 + ground and tried to adjust the idle a bit. I couldn't notice any change but then again it was a bitch..starting it..revving and the jumping out and getting under the hood. I was trying to keep it alive under the hood then adjust the screw. i might have jacked up the idle totally at this point. I'll check it though.

Thanks!

Have you washed your engine bay lately? Water that has seeped in the spark plug wells will do exactly this. Happened to me once.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Have you washed your engine bay lately? Water that has seeped in the spark plug wells will do exactly this. Happened to me once.
    Not this time but it has happened to be before as well. Thanks!

******UPDATE*****

I checked the Intercooler connections and repaired a small hole. Same thing still going on. Drives great but won't Idle. This morning when I slow to a stop, it will idle for about 30 - 45 seconds and then the idle drops as if I turned on the AC.. rpms drop waaay to low and starts to bog until I rev the engine. I'm at a loss...looks like a visit to to TrackDog is in order.