Thread: replacement headrest speakers?

Default replacement headrest speakers?

Can anyone recommend some decent, Team CB type headrest speakers? Mine is a 92... TIA.
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Default Re: replacement headrest speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    Can anyone recommend some decent, Team CB type headrest speakers? Mine is a 92... TIA.
    I scored some on E-Bay, not great but they work, under $50.00 for both seats and they were a direct fit, into the original plastic boxes.

Mine weren't TCB approved in the 92 B&T but I used some 3 1/2" Infinity speakers... Had to do some minor trimming, but it worked fine with the Aiwa head unit.

Just be careful with 3 1/2" speakers... if they have a cardboard ring round the speaker that sticks out a bit that would be better since the cone of the speaker won't smack the plastic insert in the headrest that way.

Just about anything should fit. I used the Infinity speakers that were 4 ohms each. I wired each speaker in series with the other headrest (left speakers wired in series then right speakers wired in series) so each pair would look like an 8 ohm load rather than the 2 ohms it would've been if I wired it in parallel.

If you get popping sounds from too much bass on the speakers you can add a non-polarized electrolytic capacitor in series with them to block the bass. The size of the capacitor in microfarads will determine the cutoff frequency for the lower tones.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

how do yours sound? the infinities? i saw those and they looked like they would sound sweet.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

i used some pioneer 50 watt 3 1/2 inch speakers that required some trimming of the foam and beating down a bar in the headrest, but they sound better than blown speakers and were only 60 from car toys

Yeah, what he said...

I wouldn't spend the money on the Infinity speakers again. I only did it because I was going load the car up with amplifiers.

Ended up getting a new car instead and the wife didn't want all the amps in the B&T... then ended up selling the B&T.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Max-5 Headrest speakers are supposed to be the best bang for the buck.

YMMV
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I have the Clearwaters in my '93 -- I was installing leather seats and had a few bucks at the time to play with -- and they sound about as good as I think a tiny little speaker in the headrest can sound. I'd give them the thumbs-up for quality.

But I'm not sure how much real value there is in "high quality sound" from the headrest speakers. I have to admit that the only time they really make a big difference is when you crank them up so you can hear a tiny bit with the top down -- and then it's still pretty much lost at highway speed.

(FWIW, I have a stock radio and amp, some JBLs in the door -- they came from another car to replace blown factory speakers.)

If I was looking for the TCB, I'd just find something that makes sound and would fit (rather than going for any big-name "high quality" setup). I don't think you'll notice that much difference.

Just my opinion.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    I have the Clearwaters .......they sound about as good as I think a tiny little speaker in the headrest can sound. I'd give them the thumbs-up for quality.

But I'm not sure how much real value there is in "high quality sound" from the headrest speakers. I have to admit that the only time they really make a big difference is when you crank them up so you can hear a tiny bit with the top down -- and then it's still pretty much lost at highway speed.
    What he said.

Default max5 from performance

Not sure if you purchased any yet, but I got the max 5 from performace. They are awesome. Totally different car now that we can actually hear the headrest speakers. Excellent bass as well. For less than $100 shipped for all 4 I'm not sure you can beat them. It took me less than 20 minutes to replace mine. I had stock headrest speakers in my 92 by the way, so these are direct drop in. Their instructions were excellent as well. http://www.performancebuyers.com/