Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FM Springs vs. RB Race Springs

Default FM Springs vs. RB Race Springs

Besides the ~$100 price difference, what are the pros of going with the FM springs versus the RB race springs?

Ride difference?

I see where the FM site mentions that the rear springs are rated at 228lbs and the RBs are 122lbs... what does that translate to? Does this mean the FM's will keep me off the rear bumpstops?

The fronts are FM - 342lbs vs. the RBs - 226lbs...

I have the FMs, so you should drive mine (once it gets back together ). I had to cut half of the bump stop off to prevent spending all my time on them, but even now I do hit them now and again. FM sells the rear shock mounts (more $$$) that are supposed to keep you off the bumps for good, but I don't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    The rear shock mounts are another $250 or so...
    The RB springs are too frickin' soft. You'll probably need the rear mounts with either.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    The rear shock mounts are another $250 or so...
    Tell me about it... I had an order in for the springs, shocks, sways, rotors, and pads when they said the shock mounts were weeks away. I called Tammy before they had released the price and told her to add them to my order, and ship it all together. she said "OK... that will take your order from $1160 to $1410." I picked the phone back up off the ground and told her never mind.

go with tein s-tech, softer than FM but way stiffer than RB and only $114 plus shipping. mine were a tad under 140 shipped.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    go with tein s-tech, softer than FM but way stiffer than RB and only $114 plus shipping. mine were a tad under 140 shipped.
    Still too soft. Bean needs the stiff stuff.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

237 front and 167 rear. and a more streetable ride height, just a suggestion.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Definately(sp.) FM springs. The RB are too soft. Do a search on the pointy board. I have done the same search and you could read for days. But as for the abridged version........FM

Monkey

I had the same question, it says you dont need the bumpstops on a NB cuase the factory left an extra inch of travel...is this true if I go with the FM springs on my 99?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I had the same question, it says you dont need the bumpstops on a NB cuase the factory left an extra inch of travel...is this true if I go with the FM springs on my 99?
    Majik and I agree that there's "enough" travel on the NBs with the FM springs. I don't think there's enough travel with the Tein-S or Racing Beat springs that provide the same ride height with a softer spring.

You need the bump stops, you dont need to CUT them. But like TC said there is no riding on the bump stops with these springs.

I thought 3bean would just remove the heavy suspension components altogether and run the car on the bump stops.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    You need the bump stops, you dont need to CUT them. But like TC said there is no riding on the bump stops with these springs.
    Ooops! Thanks for reading more carefully than I did, Majik... Yeah... You definitely need the bumpstops. Without them, you'd definitely risk shaving weight off the fender liner and potentially smacking an A-arm, endlink or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    I thought 3bean would just remove the heavy suspension components altogether and run the car on the bump stops.

S.
    You'd think, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    You'd be suprised just how much time a stock NB spends riding "on" the bumpstops... let alone a lowered one.

Don't forget that Mazda designed the suspension of the NA & NB to incorporate the bumpstops as a poor man's rising rate helper spring. What you guys are referring to as "riding on the bumpstops" would be more accurately described as "fully compressing the bumpstops and bottoming out all available suspension travel".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

hhmm not sure I will buy through that company since they lie and say that a 99 does not need bumpstops with their kit.
    Or I could just buy the bumpstops which sounds like I will need to do anyhow, but its hard to have confidence in a company that says I dont need them and you guys say I do.
    Maybe I will look at another site, any suggestions?
    maybe
    Good-win?

I've got the FM springs on my '97, and I'm on the bumpstops way too often, especially when I have a passenger, and anything in the trunk. I'll spluge (sometime in the future) for the shock mounts, just to get an extra inch of travel. My wife hates this car because of the ride.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    I've got the FM springs on my '97, and I'm on the bumpstops way too often, especially when I have a passenger, and anything in the trunk. I'll spluge (sometime in the future) for the shock mounts, just to get an extra inch of travel. My wife hates this car because of the ride.
    This is true... a passenger does cause many more bumpstop meetings.

hhmm not sure I will buy through that company since they lie and say that a 99 does not need bumpstops with their kit.
    Or I could just buy the bumpstops which sounds like I will need to do anyhow, but its hard to have confidence in a company that says I dont need them and you guys say I do.
    Maybe I will look at another site, any suggestions?
    maybe
    Good-win?

Bumpstops are already on the car. You do not need to trim them, because there is more travel in the 99+ cars than 90-97 cars. You dont need to buy new. Just take them off the old shocks and put them on the new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast