Thread: Flyin Miata V-Maxx Coilovers

Default Flyin Miata V-Maxx Coilovers

Anyone here have any experience with these? Not what you read online, but some real world experience?

Just curious.
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

I think someone in the area posted about ordering some... check the VMaxx thread on mistake.net...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

BigDmiata just installed a set and had nothing but good things to say about 'em tonight.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Yes, I just installed mine over the weekend. I really like them for the money. Coming from the stock sport suspension to the v-maxx, they don't have a super stiff springs like Tein or Xida's, but are more firm than the OEM setup. When I say firm, they are not any harsher than factory, just have less body roll. I'm looking forward to an autocross, where I can really push them for further review. But for a cheap street and occasional AX set-up I think these are gonna be great.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Front spring rates are the same as the standard Flex rates. Rears are softer and a better balance for the car.

Are your helper springs fully compressed at rest?
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Didn't realize the standard springs for the Teins was that low, but yeah, it really does ride pretty good. I'll to check on the helpers, I figure I am very close to the helpers being full compressed, then again, I'm sitting with a 12" f/r ride height currently.

As I understand it, the benefit of helper springs shows up during hard cornering. When the inside wheels are lightly loaded and the suspension is in droop, the softer rate of the series-spring combination provides better control for a lightly loaded tire. The equivalent rate of the VMaxx front/rear when the helpers are not compressed is 87 lb/in front and 77 lb/in rear (or in other words, softer than the stock springs). At those rates, I would imagine that the helpers are compressed when the car is at rest...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

I plan to install mine this weekend. Can't wait to try em out
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Chassis Designer

hey guys,

i'm currently looking in to the v-maxx setup. any chance i could score a ride along at some time. kind of want to see what these feel like before i jump on the band wagon.

charlie

I should be out at te autocross tomorrow at TMS with mine.

I'll be out tomorrow at TMS with my MSM on V-Maxx also.

Chassis Designer

well looks like i may have to head out to the auto x. wasn't planning on going. but if i can sneak out past the wife i may be able to get there. no promises though.

Chassis Designer

argh. not going to be able to make it out today. i'm stuck working on photoshop trying to get the gt500 pics finished.

http://yfrog.com/h09k6up

the cover shot keeps exporting way to dark. it's should be about half a stop more exposed, but i'll be damned if i can get it to save that way. it looks fine in the psd.

I love mine, great handling and much nicer than my stock springs on the street.

I have about 1200 miles on mine and still love em! Well worth the money.