Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project Miata: Build Thread

Chassis Designer

oh yeah we'll be rebuilding project miata. we will probably have to start with a new chasis, but we'll be salvaging everything we can off of project miata: extra crispy edition doesn't look like we'll be able to salvage much though.

Chassis Designer

here's the photos from the aftermath of the inferno. take take a look at the rest of the photos and tell me if you thinbk we might be able to salvage anything.

http://www.carcare101.info/project-m...f-the-inferno/

Chassis Designer

so this is how awesome out followers are. they've started donating all kinds of stuff to help us rebuild project miata. cash, time, parts, and even tools! we've got a couple of guys who are out looking for the perfect lipstick red na miata to replace the one that burnt. i didn't realize the project was so popular!

the guys over at www.motoramalive.com even started a fund raising program and had us guest host their show tonight! how cool is that!

Winning!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Chassis Designer

here's a whole bunch of fail! i went to pick up the police report for the car fire. WOW. it couldn't be more wrong. check it out.for starters, i'm quite obviously not a woman.

Chassis Designer

got police report fixed meeting with the insurance guys tomorrow. hoping to have a check before the week is out so i can spend the weekend driving all over the country to find the next project miata.anybody looking to sell?

Chassis Designer

so two months later i finally settle things up with my insurance company. took much longer than expected on account of the aftermarket goodies and all the "restoration work" (those were the insurance companies words not mine, i was just fixing broken things) in the end they cut me a check for a touch over seven grand, for my busted old wore out girls car. :jump:

they ended up pricing the car for the fully restored NADA value, minus $400 salvage value since i kept the burnt ruins of the car. and that same afternoon i replaced project miata with project maita 2.0, a red 1990, which cost me a whole whopping 2 grand with the hard top. so that leaves me when a pile of cash to start fixing the laundry list of things wrong with this car. :bang: (though its not near the list that needed to be fixed on the original project miata)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

(more pics to follow trying to fix some issues with the site currently before i can upload them)

anyway so question for all you hard top owners. omg they get HOT. i don't mean it gets a tad warm in there. i mean "holy crap my bald head is going to blister being so damned close to the thing" hot. now granted it was 110 outside today in the wonderful summer heat wave we are having in texas, but there's no way i can live with a hard top if i can't find a way to cool it down. there was 30 degrees diff in temp between 4 inches from the top and level with the ac vents. unacceptable.

so i guess in short what to you do to insulate a hardtop?

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Beginning in 1992, the OEM hardtops were insulated and came with a defroster.
    Last edited by cone-cerned; 08-03-2011 at 06:37 AM.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Driver

Yep my Hardtop has headliner and insulated don't get hot at all...and I don't even run ac in my car

Chassis Designer

turns out the early oem hard tops did no come with headliner or defroster. previous owner claimed the hard top came with the car when new. the only other owner the car had was his brother who bought it new.

http://www.miata.net/garage/hardtop/

a
    fter a quick trip to lowes i put together my usual sound deadening / heat shield kit. (couple rolls of peal and seal, dap spray foam, some roll out foam drawer liner and refleticx) i just finished up layering the center of the roof. i'll cover it with some head liner material in the near future. we'll see tomorrow how much of a diff it makes.

for now da roof is all shiny

Engine Builder

Try tinting the real window, they are a lot larger and are domed like a magnifying glass. The hardtop seams to get hotter on mine when parked, but it cools down faster and stays cool longer. Right now, it is just friggin hot, so unless you tint or otherwise keep the sun outta there, you are gunna have issue.

Chassis Designer

well just did the 1.5 hour commute to work this morning and well, let's just say i sweated my balls off. damn ac was blowing hot air. looks like i got snookered with the old charge and leak trick. good news is my head was only as hot as the rest of me . looks like i'll be trying to figure out how to fix an a/c this week juts in time for that 110 degree august heat. got to love texas...

Chassis Designer

so it's time to start the suspension build up for project miata 2.0. my goal is a capable budget build that will be mainly used as a street rod but will see the occasional track day. this is what i've come up with.

first order is coming from flyin' miata

FM V-Maxx Stage 2 suspension kit = $849(comes with fm sways, mounts & nb top hats + bump stops)
    energy suspension kit from flyin miata. = $189
    Super Pro Steering Rack Bushings = $28.95
    Alignment Bolts set of 8 = $70.00

Total = $1136.95

I'll be picking up the following from Track Dog Racing Tomorrow as well.

Heim Jointed Sway Bar End Link (x2 Sets) = $178

Total = $178

V8 Roadster Order

Front Upper Ball Joint x2 = $150

Total = $150

Parts Geeks Order

Inner Tie Rod End = $41.88
    Outer Tie Rod End = $43.88
    Rack and Pinion Bellows = 21.96
    Lower Ball Joints = 45.50

Total = $153.22

So the total will be $1618.17

you guys can read along as see how i came up with this set up over on the m.net.

will also be picking up zerk fittings to add when i install the bushings so i can grease them as needed. SAY NO TO SQUEAKS

I already have the fm butterfly brace and frame rails as well as a strut tower bar. i'm also going to be fabbing up a set of door bars and i'm thinking about either purchasing or making a set of frog arms.

so what do you guys think? solid budget build, or am i just pissing up a rope?

Chassis Designer

More build pics are up! Finally getting around to posting all the pics from the suspension and brake build up. So here's first round of the pics. These are a step by step on removing Project Miata's brakes. Look how gnarly that under carriage is! I'm so glad Project Miata 2.0 is no where near that nasty.

Project Miata: Removing the Brakes

Chassis Designer

Salvaging the Harddog Duce Roll Bar from the crispy car.

Project Miata: Salvaging the Harddog Duce Roll Bar

Chassis Designer

so been meaning to get this posted for a while now. but here's the build pics from us tearing down the old suspension. :thumbs:

Project Maita: Suspension Tear Down

i should have the rest of the pics edited and on the site later today. (you know the ones with all the hot new suspension components )

Chassis Designer

Alright got the old bushings pressed out, and the new prothane bushings installed with zerk fittings to keep everything nice a squeak free. check the link below to see the step by step

Project Miata: Prothane Poly Bushing Install

Chassis Designer

and with this our control arm restoration is complete. next time we'll see if we can put humpty dumpty back together agian.

V8 Roadsters Rebuildable Upper Ball Joint Installation

Quote Originally Posted by offsprg01 View Post
    and with this our control arm restoration is complete. next time we'll see if we can put humpty dumpty back together agian.

V8 Roadsters Rebuildable Upper Ball Joint Installation
    How tough were those to press out? Imay install those soon.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Chassis Designer

super easy with a hydraulic press . i'm sure you could do it with a bfh. may take awhile though. or if you're in for a drive you're welcome to borrow mine. with a press it might take 3 minutes to swap the old one out with the new ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12