Thread: replacing engine

Default replacing engine

I did a quick search for this but couldn't find anything. Anywho.

I plan on replacing my 1.6 with a 1.8. Since I will have the engine out, is there anything I should do while it is out (seal is all I could think of)? Anything to look for? Anyone want to help?

Probably not that important but I would make sure the coolant hose that goes from the rear of the engine and under the intake manifold to right next to the oil filter should be checked and replaced. Mine started leaking and it's a pain to get to when the engine is in the car or tranny is in.

Strider
    '94 Miata "M Edition" - sold
    '99 Miata w/td05

And how has there been 29 reviews and no replies? Geez.....
    '99 Miata w/td05

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Just looking in - nothing to contribute, but I thought I might learn something for future reference. Sorry if I disturbed anyone.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

New seals on everything, new hoses (preferably silicone) on everything, fire sleeve on the heater-hoses, anti-seize every bolt, SS clutch line, front trans seal, trans tail-shaft seal, new engine mounts, epoxy the throttle body bolts, new exhaust manifold gasket (mine always leak but I am turbonated), and blah blah blah.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Just looking in - nothing to contribute, but I thought I might learn something for future reference. Sorry if I disturbed anyone.
    I like your sig man.
    '99 Miata w/td05

replace the water pump, cas seal .... as brg noted... throw out bearing. i mean if you have the engine out, do it right... don't try to short change yourself.. did you get the 1.8 computer?
    95 r white

I don't have anything yet. I'm just trying to make a list of what parts to gather.

+1 to what others have said here. Treat it as if you're doing a full timing belt job and clutch job (with water pump, main seals, etc etc etc). While you're at it, might as well throw in a new pan gasket just for shits and grins. Also, FYI, make sure you do the pissy little coolant lines under the intake manifold. They're damn near impossible to change when the motor is in the car. If you buy the complete timing belt/water pump service kit along with a complete set of belts and hoses, you should be good to go. Also, go ahead and upgrade the lower radiator hose to the one-piece NB unit.

Rosenthal Mazda is a good mail order source. However, if you go in with a list of parts, Town North is pretty good about matching prices - and you won't have to pay shipping. Brian is the parts guy I usually talk to.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Thank you! This is exactly the type of information I was hoping to get.

Oh, and get a Mazdaspeed account. I wasted sooooo much money by not getting an MS account.

Other things worthy of consideration I've thought of since the last post:

FM EGR cap/plug (required)
    Throttle cable
    Speedo cable
    MSpnp2 (throttle body TPS considerations too)
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!