Thread: How unsafe is this?

Default How unsafe is this?

I noticed that my car was extra 'rattly' over bumps on the way in to school/work today so I looked around underneath and noticed that one of the bolts for my front sway bar bracket has gone on vacation..

I thought I had a picture, but it's too blurry to be of any use - it's the rear bolt of the bracket on the driver's side (not the end links, the mount with the big wraparound bushing).

Is this unsafe to drive home on (pretty straight, 45mph roads, only like 3 turns)? Where's the easiest/cheapest/fastest place to get a replacement?

Thanks.

You should be fine just don't toss the car around in the corners. No idea what size bolt it is, but maybe just stop at a Mazda dealer and pick up the proper bolt or maybe even call TDR.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

That shouldn't be unsafe at all. LikeFlyin96M said though, I wouldn't drive home like a hero.

The quickest and probably cheapest place to get one would be HD, Lowe's, ACE, some place that sells bolts. Take another one out and bring it with you (or take it out in the parking lot) to match it up.

The easiest way would be going to a Mazda dealer.

And I hope it goes without saying, but when you replace it make sure to check the others. Those usually don't just back out by themselves like that.

Threadlock is your friend.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I have a big box of Miata bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I have a big box of Miata bolts
    Those are the "extras" from your customers cars right?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    Those are the "extras" from your customers cars right?
    No... you're thinking of that "other" miata shop....
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Meh, Miatas have a lot of the same nuts and bolts. Just take one from another area. As long as the new area doesn't rattle, then you're golden.

We have spare bolts. I know exactly the one you need too.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    No... you're thinking of that "other" miata shop....
    LOL...I know the one!!
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

So I looked up what the bolt size should be, went to Home Depot and got a few (+ a couple of different sizes to be safe). I've been studying for an exam that was earlier today so I didn't have a chance since the original post to get another look until about an hour ago, and I'm at a loss of what to do..

The same bolt is missing from both sides, but the rattling stopped (the next time I drove the car actually), which makes me think the rattling was unrelated to the sway bar mounts. Also, I can't move the mounts to push them back into place? I tried threading the bolts in to use them as leverage to slowly screw the mounts back up into place, but the holes don't seem to line up anymore. It doesn't help I'm sure that the car wasn't raised or anything when I was doing this, but I have no ramps/jack stands. The other confusing thing is the car doesn't seem to handle any differently, so I'm wondering if it's been like this for a while, lol..

Are the mounts possibly bent/ruined? Do I need to take weight off of the wheels to be able to move the bar at all? I thought no, but it can't hurt to ask I guess.

.. I don't know why I didn't think of it while it was still light out, but I should have disconnected the endlinks... I'll try that next.

I think you will have a hard time moving the mounts with the end links connected and weight on them. If you want, we can jack it up at the ER event if you're gonna be there and take take care of it. Just bring some tools for it. I will have my jack.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That bushing sure looks wallowed out, unless it's an illusion....no grease in there either.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    That bushing sure looks wallowed out, unless it's an illusion.
    I think it's just the angle and the shadow.

no grease in there either.
    +1

Let me know if you're up to fixing this on Sunday morning and I can bring some grease.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I think it's just the angle and the shadow.

+1

Let me know if you're up to fixing this on Sunday morning and I can bring some grease.
    Please tell me you are still talking about the sway bar, right??
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Please tell me you are still talking about the sway bar, right??
    At least he tried to hide it and called it "grease".

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I think you will have a hard time moving the mounts with the end links connected and weight on them. If you want, we can jack it up at the ER event if you're gonna be there and take take care of it. Just bring some tools for it. I will have my jack.
    That would be great, I'll bring some tools. Thanks jrj, thought I might have to miss it because of this.

That bushing sure looks wallowed out, unless it's an illusion....no grease in there either.
    Just an illusion - probably no grease though.

Do yourself a favor and get the AWR swaybar mounts, never look back.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!