Thread: Tow vehicle

Default Tow vehicle

The wife has agreed to trade in the mini van for an suv I can tow with on weekends. It might also cost me a Miata for her on weekends.

Looking at tow options. I am thinking of starting with an open trailer and either a Spec Miata (I can fit), Spec 944 (not that expensive), or and e36. I might move to an enclosed trailer at some point. SUV must fit in garage and be nicely appointed.

Vehicles:
    Tahoe
    Yukon
    Nissan
    Toyota
    Jeep
    Dodge

The Yukon looks the best at this point.
    M3 is always the answer.

No Escalade on the list? I thought you were a "Baller"....

Take Nissan off the list. Too many issues the factory won't stand up to.

Other baller options, BMW, Porsche, Range Rover, Hummer, Lambo (used, V12 ftw).

Driver

I've not driven one, but the Durango looks pretty cool (from the ads).

An enclosed trailer adds a lot to the requirements. In that case, you would need an 2500 for that.

For an open trailer, I think the Jeep would be great and it would be at the top of my list because it also does well as a daily driver. Maybe add some extra diff/tranny cooling if it does not come with it. It is a nice vehicle. Ask Sue Brude how she likes hers.

I would buy for an open trailer and then get a better tow vehicle if you ever upgrade to an enclosed trailer.

Whats the difference between the Tahoe and Yukon? The grille? lol

You looking at new or used?
    If used, how old?
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

You are not going to tow an enclosed car trailer with a half-ton based SUV (Yukon, Tahoe, etc.), so rule that out of your mind right now. You'd need a 3/4-ton based Suburban at a minimum to tow an enclosed trailer.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

BTW, I know where a very nice custom all steel tandam axle open trailer is for sale. Drop me a line if you want more info.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Bmw x6m (6600 towing), x5m (6615 towing), cayanne turbo s (7716 towing), touareg TDI V10 (7716 lbs towing), audi Q7 TDI (6600 lbs).
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 06-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I think you should just buy a shifter cart and trailer so you can tow it with anything you want.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    An enclosed trailer adds a lot to the requirements. In that case, you would need an 2500 for that.

For an open trailer, I think the Jeep would be great and it would be at the top of my list because it also does well as a daily driver. Maybe add some extra diff/tranny cooling if it does not come with it. It is a nice vehicle. Ask Sue Brude how she likes hers.

I would buy for an open trailer and then get a better tow vehicle if you ever upgrade to an enclosed trailer.
    The current Jeep has very good engine and trans cooling. Trans never gets over 165-170 when towing hard, and is usually in the 150's . You can call up the trans, oil, and coolant temps on the dash display. None of the SUV's will pull and enclosed trailer with real confidence. As hard as my previous Excursion and F250 worked pulling a 20ft enclosed, I would use nothing less for that job.

2012 brings a diesel to the Jeep (and maybe Durango) if you feel green. The Durango may be be better with a slightly longer wheelbase and stiffer supension calibration than the jeep (no off road pretensions for it). Land Rover LR4's are really nice , roomy, stable, powerful, but thirsty. An Ecoboost Expedition would be good, if they ever build one.
    Last edited by Webspoke; 06-06-2011 at 11:50 AM.

A good open car trailer is going to weigh around 1800Lbs. empty. Then add the weight of the vehicle/parts/whatever else you plan on having on the trailer. An enslosed trailer will add a considerable amount of drag at highway speeds.

That is the bare minimum towing capacity you need to look for. Having towed with a Diesel pickup I would never go back to gas for that kind of weight. The piece of mind is worth it. I would look for an 03 H0 to 04.5 CTD (Dodge) with the NV5600 6-speed manual. The reason being is after 04.5 they added a lot of emmisions stuff that hurt milage and you could not get the 305 HP HO engine before 03. You are not buying this because it is a Dodge you are buying it because it is a Cummins.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    I would look for an 03 H0 to 04.5 CTD (Dodge) with the NV5600 6-speed manual. The reason being is after 04.5 they added a lot of emmisions stuff that hurt milage and you could not get the 305 HP HO engine before 03. You are not buying this because it is a Dodge you are buying it because it is a Cummins.
    His wife will love it during the week when she is daily driving it.

Here you go, Ken. Now you just need a tow vehicle.

Ford F250 King Ranch
    4 doors, short bed, interior extremely well appointed and it's build quality is way beyond GM and Dodge. It rides high and silky smooth. Might not fit in the garage.
    Getting it moving down the highway is not the concern you should have with the weight of a car and double axle car trailer. Being able to stop at the stop sign at the bottom of the hill is. I would look at 3/4 ton vehicles mostly for the larger brakes. Make sure you put brakes on the trailer also.
    1/2 ton Yukons and Tahoo's are great for towing light weight ski boats, jet ski's, or motorcycles but don't have the brakes or the rear springs you need for heavy loaded car trailers.
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Or go get a nice Yukon and a open trailer with trailer brakes.

SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint