Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for nice wheels...

Default Looking for nice wheels...

I've been searching all over the internet for a good wheel deal. I found some great looking wheels from Good Win Racing out of San Diego. They're the Nippon F2 15x6.5 five spoke wheel and I think they look great! Plus, they're available in gunmetal! Woohooo!!

Unless, of course, I find a nice used set of light 15" rims. (I'm working on my qualifications for induction into team CB)

What size tire is best for a 6.5" or 7" rim?

Lorenzo

P.S. I got off air at 11pm, its 2:25am and I can't sleep because I've got a fever of 101. Argh...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you're going to go to 15" check out Konig Heliums. I saw them at one of the miata.net marketplace vendors for $95 or $99 each. BTW, purchasing those wheels would automatically disqualify you from being a member of Team CB.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    ...BTW, purchasing those wheels would automatically disqualify you from being a member of Team CB.
    And would take you out of Stock class in autocross... if that's of any concern. Of course, you could keep your OEM wheels for AX, and just use the new Koenig's for a little . I like those Heliums, and have been seriously considering a set (bronze) for my street bling. And they would look good on your ride.

Drive fast!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Either one of those would be an excellent choice for a reasonably strong, lightweight, and inexpensive wheel. Also, if you like the style of the Nippon F2, search around the web for Rota Slipstreams - identical wheel (they're both cast copies of an old forged Mugen wheel design), available in lots of different colors, and often on sale somewhere.

By the way, the same offset and bolt pattern that works on Miatas also works on Civics, Integras, and many other older Hondas, so surfing the web for places where riceboys are selling used parts (like The Parts Trader or ebay) can net you a deal. Warning: I usually don't buy used parts from people I don't know, because there are way too many unscrupulous a**holes out there selling stuff. Your mileage may vary. However, you may find the bargain of the century, if you look hard enough.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Some 1-year old, 15 x 6.5 konig heliums sold last night on ebay for $305. They were in excellent shape. It was $50 more than I was willing to pay.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    It was $50 more than I was willing to pay.
    Joe,
    You buckin' for a Team CB sticker or what?

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    Some 1-year old, 15 x 6.5 konig heliums sold last night on ebay for $305. They were in excellent shape. It was $50 more than I was willing to pay.
    Good call... they'd only be $400 brand new. $305 used, in unknown condition (I'm sure the ad said they were in pristine condition), from an unfamiliar source is no bargin. And you'd still have to add on shipping and handling...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If I were to replace my 14" OEM wheels with different 14" OEM wheels, would that kick me out of STOCK class?

If I were to replace my 14" OEM wheels with different 14" OEM wheels, would that kick me out of STOCK class?
    Da SCCA Rules State :
    13.4 Wheels
    Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed (including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed. Vehicles originally equipped only with 12 inch diameter wheels, may use 13 inch diameter wheels of the same width as standard and offset within +/- 0.25 inch of standard.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Da SCCA Rules State :
    13.4 Wheels
    Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed (including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed. Vehicles originally equipped only with 12 inch diameter wheels, may use 13 inch diameter wheels of the same width as standard and offset within +/- 0.25 inch of standard
    So then, that's a NO ?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Da SCCA Rules State :
    13.4 Wheels
    Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed (including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed. Vehicles originally equipped only with 12 inch diameter wheels, may use 13 inch diameter wheels of the same width as standard and offset within +/- 0.25 inch of standard
    So then, that's a NO ?
    It's a conditional no. Buying any old 14" wheels will likely kick you out of Stock, because the OEM wheels on your car are 14"x5.5", while most aftermarket wheels are a different width.

Of course, seeing as how Treibenschnell has already removed the OEM airbag steering wheel (a technical no-no in SCCA Stock classes ), buying non-legal wheels wouldn't really make a difference.

FWIW, the Miata OEM wheels (at least those in 14" & 15" sizes) are typically as light as you'll find without spending big bucks on properly-sized, imported, Japanese, one-piece, forged wheels. That's why a lot of us (myself included) run aftermarket wheels on the street, and save the stockers for racing.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    FWIW, the Miata OEM wheels (at least those in 14" & 15" sizes) are typically as light as you'll find without spending big bucks on properly-sized, imported, Japanese, one-piece, forged wheels. That's why a lot of us (myself included) run aftermarket wheels on the street, and save the stockers for racing.
    Yep, what he said. Of course, I have two sets of OEM wheels right now -- one for AX and one for Street. I guess what I need to do is buy a third set for Street... maybe some nice Heliums or Koesi K1's... and make that second set of OEM's my track wheels.

My wife would love that...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I'm looking at getting some 14" Miata wheels that came on the '94-'97 models. I like the looks better, plus they will be at least 1 lb. lighter each than the ones I have now.

I'm looking at getting some 14" Miata wheels that came on the '94-'97 models. I like the looks better, plus they will be at least 1 lb. lighter each than the ones I have now.
    Two words... OEM BBS Those 14" OEM BBS "wire wheels" look fantastic!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Two words... OEM BBS Those 14" OEM BBS "wire wheels" look fantastic!
    I have to agree! I like those wheels a lot too. (Not to mention they only weigh 8.5 lbs. each!) The problem is POS is hoarding all of them west of the Mississippi!

The problem is POS is hoarding all of them west of the Mississippi!
    Hey I resemble that comment!

I also like the look of these rims in a 15" size (The ASA are more "cost effective" )

I run the POS throught the Tire Rack Wheel Selector on a regular basis!

What I need to find is a nice 15" wheel I could use on either the POS or Vivid! Now that would be sweet!

Heliums would work on both...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Heliums would work on both...
    ya, go buy some freakin' Helium's today! If you sell me a set of your BBS's, you'll have at least 1/2 of the money!

No, no, no... sell me your BBS for half of the half you were going to peddle them off to poor sammm for and I'll give them a good home.

See, then I save sammm and POS quite the headache!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast