Thread: Anti-Freeze Leak

Default Anti-Freeze Leak

I was doing some routine fluid checks yesterday and while checking my SC belt, I noticed some oil and bright green anti-freeze in the bottom of the engine shield. This morning I jacked her up, pulled the tray and underneath the car is covered in bright green and oil. Most of the anti-freeze is under the air compressor but it's all over the place. I can't tell the source of the leak, that's how much that's under there. I'm about to clean the go wipe down the whole area and see what I can find. I'm fearing water pumps and some seals or something. Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Driver

Prob a water pump would be my bet...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^ +1 ... if you haven't yet, it would be a good time to replace the timing belt, idlers, seals, etc if you do have to put a new WP in.

Das Wasserpumpen ist kaput.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Das Wasserpumpen ist kaput.

I was afraid of that.....

Ok so i'm guessing it's one of those things that might go out tomorrow or hold on till next weekend. I know I should do the timing belt while I'm in there...what else should I replace? It there a complete kit to buy. I'm pretty handy with the tools but have never taken on a project like this. I'm pretty sure I can handle it but is it a one man job?

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Yes, it's a one man job. I have replace the water pump, et al, twice by myself, but my car is not supercharged.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    Most of the anti-freeze is under the air compressor but it's all over the place.
    Are you sure it's not the A/C compressor leaking? The dye they put in A/C systems is fluorescent green and oily.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Are you sure it's not the A/C compressor leaking? The dye they put in A/C systems is fluorescent green and oily.
    No I'm not sure but that is exactly what is is...bright green and oily. I haven't been loosing any water. I'm talking a bright green that looks almost like it's spraying from somewhere.

Yep pressure test the system and it will show you exactly where it is leaking if it is the coolant system.

Ok, Sounds like a pressure check is the route to go. Last night I got back under there and took a closer look at it. All the green seems to be coming from around the compressor area. The side of the heat shield closest to the compressor and underneath the compressor is where most of the neon green seemed to be concentrated.

I wiped the area down and then had my wife start her up and blast the AC. I let it run for a while and no signs of green from anywhere. I'm still planning on doing the pressure check but I was wrong about anti-freeze. It's definitely some sort of dye, at some point it sprayed into the fan housing and dried bright neon green. Looks almost like paint over spray.

You have an A/C leak then. Coolant has a distinct sweet swell. A/C dye is a fluorescent green, oily and stains. Does the A/C work well? It might be a very slow leak that has been leaking for some time. It could be an O-Ring or the compressor is leaking.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)