Thread: Fresh Rubber.

Engine Builder

Question Fresh Rubber.

I want to get some new tires, but I don't know what I should wrap my wheels in. I could care less about road noise, and ride comfort. I've been looking at the Falken Azenis RT-615K's, but I'n not too sure. I don't want tp pay more than $140 a tire.

I have Triangle Talons on the MSM right now. (Terrible tires) The size is 205 40 17. I would love some suggestions.
    2004 Titanium Grey MazdaSpeed MX-5 #811 21,XXX miles (Weekend car)
    2002 White Honda Accord coupe EX V6 99,XXX miles (Daily driver)
    I do amateur photography. Message me if you want some shots.

I love my azenis
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

I do too.
    -Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

For sticky daily driver tires, it's hard to go wrong with the Dunlop Star Specs. ($80 rebate on a set until July 30)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec

Ohhh rebate. That's what I would do
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Do any of you get GrassrootsMotorsports mag? Their latest issue (August2011?), has a new ST tire test. The cover has their red MX-5. I recommend reading it before buying any tires.
    Maniac Mitch

Engine Builder

The only problem with those Dunlops is they don't make them in my size :\

Beware! Many folks around these parts are autocrossers and track rats so their tire needs are all about grip in the dry.They will be looking for wider tires than stock too.Mmmm...exactly what I want, too!

Hankook RS-3. Cheap, sticky, and awesome.

If you're looking for something a little more "daily driver"ish, the Hankook V12 Evo is a pretty good tire. Not quite as grippy as a set of NT05s, Star Specs, or RS-3s, but a little quieter and more forgiving on the street as well. I've got a set of these on my S2000, and I like them quite a bit.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hey Wrx74,
    hope you're Gabby....what do you know about the Toyo R1R tires??? They ended up just below the Kumho XS in the GRM test. They praised the longitual grip, so should be good for hard braking and corner exit. But I need to know how they tolerate heat...get greasy quick? Have you any track day input on that tire??
    Anyone with R1R Toyo experience??
    Maniac Mitch

That is THE Gabby.

I will throw my 2 cents in:
    Run R1R's ICE cold. I have a set of 245 for the miata and they have tons of grip but it fades to grease fast with heat. They also supposedly don't last long.

R1Rs wear fast. I really like them, but for my money, the RS3 is the better choice.

Thanks, that is EXACTLY what I was afraid of. Thanks.

I'd really like to get a set of RS-3s...if they would grow a brain and make it in 205/50-15
    Maniac

Why Mitch isn't the 225/45ZR15 more better??

I am sure it is better. But requires a larger rim than my 15X6.5 rims. A lot more $$

If I were gonna stick some fresh rubber on my old MSM wheels I would go with the StarSpec in size 215/40/17, which is close enough to factory size for the MSM. The tire isn't too tall compared to the 205/40/17, a wee bit wider and to my understanding just plain better tire than the azenis.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch View Post
    Hey Wrx74,
    hope you're Gabby....what do you know about the Toyo R1R tires??? They ended up just below the Kumho XS in the GRM test. They praised the longitual grip, so should be good for hard braking and corner exit. But I need to know how they tolerate heat...get greasy quick? Have you any track day input on that tire??
    Anyone with R1R Toyo experience??
    Maniac Mitch
    I haven't run Toyo's and the others have, but they do come in a smaller 15". I have 205 / 15 AD08 Yokohamas at their end-of-life and I've been pretty happy with them overall. I'm still pondering their replacements. I do have a new set of Star Specs mounted on 14" but have yet to try them.

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch View Post
    I am sure it is better. But requires a larger rim than my 15X6.5 rims. A lot more $$
    Get the 225 rs3...they will be fine on a 6.5 wheel...I run on a 7" and beat the crap out of them with no prob...

Engine Builder

I like all of the suggestions. Squid, I called Todd and he said he runs a set of them right now, and he loves them. I'v heard some more great things, so I'm sold. Falkens it is. I may buy a new set of wheels, and run the Dunlops for autox when I start