Thread: Is there a back door into my PS2?

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Default Is there a back door into my PS2?

I'm not worried about hackers, et al -- just wondering if I can leverage the USB or Firew... er, I mean iLink ports to get to the data on my memory card. I'd like to back up ALL the game data (esp. 100% on GT3 before adding GT4 to the mix). As a cheap bastard, I'd like to do it without shelling out for another memory card.

Has anyone done this, or got any knowledge on how-to? Can it even be done?

There is at least one tool on the market for that... I think it's between $15 and $30 at Gamestop.

What you want is no longer on the market, but is on eBay... Xport or something like that... let's you connect a PC via USB. Last I saw they were $20.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Hummm... $35.00 for a 32MB memory card at Best Buy (or two 8MB cards for only $25.00) or buy some cables for $10 to $30, then spend time trying to figure out how to get your PS2 data into your PC. I suppose you could do that -- and save $15 to $20 -- but the lazy bastard in me says "why bother when the $35.00 solution is quick and easy... and not that much more money"?

Of course, if you are just looking for a challenge, or you are a techno/gadget geek and just have to figure out a "way around the system", you are definitely on the right path. I'll be spending my time playing GT4...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Since GT3 (and maybe GT4?) only lets you save one "profile" per card, the two 8s for $25 looks like a better deal TO ME than a single 32 for $35. But I'm looking for the zero-dollar solution. (Guess I should have mentioned that my 'puter already has FW and USB, and I already have cabling out the yin yang.)

TC, are you referring to the GameShark? Is that the thing that's still available or the one that's discontinued?

Hell, maybe I'll just cable 'em up and see what Terminal recognizes. What's the worst that could happen? (Tick... tick... tick...)

XPort is the old one that essentially networks using the USB cable.

Action Replay is the current one (one piddly Euro company bought the other piddly Euro company and killed off the better product- both make Ronco look professional).

Action Replay lets you boot a special CD, copy game saves to and from a USB stick and has PC utilities for dealing with them.

Wal-mart.com actually lists the XPort. I have neither, btw...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton