Thread: Kestrel's New Clutch

Default Kestrel's New Clutch

I split this out of another post.
    POS

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Saw your car at Stevan's a few weeks ago, nice ride!
    Dirty, but nice. And it drives a lot better now that Stevan has put in my new clutch.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Saw your car at Stevan's a few weeks ago, nice ride!
    Dirty, but nice. And it drives a lot better now that Stevan has put in my new clutch.
    So... to get completely OT here... What was the verdict on the clutch failure?

Oil leak, or had you really fried it in 30k miles?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    ...And it drives a lot better now that Stevan has put in my new clutch. [/color]
    So... to get completely OT here... What was the verdict on the clutch failure?

Oil leak, or had you really fried it in 30k miles?
    The clutch was pretty badly glazed. The turret had virtually no fluid, and still has a bad lower gasket (something I need to replace... Stevan would have done it if he had a new gasket lying around).

I still don't really know why my clutch could have been bad at 30k miles. Must be all those 7000rpm launches...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Or resting your foot on it in traffic.

I am kinda suprised by that. My 70k OEM clutch looked pretty good when it came out the first time.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The clutch was pretty badly glazed. The turret had virtually no fluid, and still has a bad lower gasket (something I need to replace... S
    Should the Turret has fluid in it? Is it ture that whatever you put into it will drain into the tramission any way?
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    The clutch was pretty badly glazed. The turret had virtually no fluid, and still has a bad lower gasket (something I need to replace... S
    Should the Turret has fluid in it? Is it ture that whatever you put into it will drain into the tramission any way?
    I think that is the case on a 6-Speed, but the 5 Speeds I believe has no fluid connection between the main gearbox so you need fluid in the turret.

POS is right. Filling the turret on a 6-speed will just result in an overfilled transmission. However, the 5-speed does need to have fluid added. There are directions on the pointy board, iirc.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

If you have the 5 speed it's easy... Take out the center console, take off the outer shift boot and then the inner shift boot... shifter comes right out...

Take a turkey baster or something similar (available at various dollar stores so you don't have to use your wife's kitchen utensils) to remove the old oil and add new oil in. It WILL make a difference in how it shifts as your oil is probably very dirty or even low/missing.

Take that time to also inspect the inner & outer boots for cracks & tears. Replace them if they are damaged. This helps keep noise, smells, and heat out of the cabin.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Take that time to also inspect the inner & outer boots for cracks & tears. Replace them if they are damaged. This helps keep noise, smells, and heat out of the cabin.

RJ
    Depends on the smell. If you fart in the car with the top up, good shifter boots aren't going to make a bit of difference.
    Iain

Is *that* why you took the top off the BUR?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!