Thread: Best SUV/tow vehicle under 10K

Default Best SUV/tow vehicle under 10K

Opinions requested for best SUV under 10K. Needs to be reliable, able to tow 5000 lbs, reliable. This thing will be used to haul dogs, make trips to Home Depot, carry wheels/tires to Discount Tire, and haul the occasional UHaul trailer. Will NOT be a daily driver.

I LOVE the idea of a 2002 Toyota 4Runner, which meets all of the above requirements (and is, in my opinion, the best looking SUV out there). However, the 3.4L motor in that thing doesn't sounds like it would deal well with towing a trailer to Houston. I'm looking at the 2003 4Runner with the newer 4.0L motor, but they are few and far between for under $10K.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Is still miss my 2006 4Runner.

Mine did not impress me with it's towing ability but I had a couple of Ford Expeditions prior to leasing it so that clouds the issue.

Since I'm sure someone is going to ask what is the aprox weight of the loaded trailer? Moving the trailer is less of a concern than stopping it so keep that in mind. Have you considered a Chevy Tahoe or similar?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I know someone that occasionally tows his 1950 lb Civic (and very light trailer) with his Mazda CX-9. It has a rating of 5000 lbs. He says he likes it and does no thave issues. Not sure if you can find one for <$10K. YMMV.

The only CX-9 you'd find for less than $10k would likely have been cut in half. They've only been on the market since '08 and listed for $30k+ new.

I'd suggest an older Expedition or Yukon if you're going to be doing any serious towing and it has to be an SUV. The '97-'02 4Runners are awesome, but I wouldn't want to tow a car with one (especially a car on a heavy Uhaul rental trailer).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Look older and don't rule out the smaller SUVs. You could tow 5k lbs with an I-6 Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee but that's at their max limit according to the manuals. Exploders can tow a decent amount. You can also get older V-8 Grand Cherokees for less than that money depending on how old you go.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Find a good used v-8 1500 pickup.

But seriously, since it is just for towing, get a cheap old truck. Simple and cheap to maintain. I'd like to get an old 60's pickup. You will need to find one with a disc brake swap or pay Rogue to hook ya up. It would be way more fun and economical than a modern truck/suv.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Notice I said SUV, not truck. I like the option of having a back seat, plus I need interior room for two large dogs. And no, I don't want a 4-door full-size GM or Ford pick-up.
    Speed

From here: http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45376 will tow anything you might want to.

2000 Excursion, Limited, 7.3L, 2WD, 169,000 miles, Leather, 3 row seats, rear air, towing package, roof rack, new Michelin E rated tires, multi CD changer, power seat, Clean, well maintained. KBB and asked price “good” condition $11,300. In Southern Pines NC [email protected]

How about a Honda Ridgeline
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Wish I could find a Ridgeline for under $10K
    Speed

There are older Suburbans for under $10k all over the the place here in Longview. Remove the back seats and you can put full 4x8 sheets of plywood down inside with the rear door or the hatch closed. leave the set in and you still have nearly 5 feet of rear cargo space, enough for 1 or 2 large pet carriers and supplies. They get within 5 the same mileage you get in the much smaller 4 runner. You did say it wouldn't be a daily so I would think mileage isn't that much of a concern for occcaisional use. Most have taken full depreciation. My experience with a 4runner was the interior was very cramped, the brakes were lacking, and the fuel economy was poor for a vehicle of the size.
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Check out the Jeep Liberty diesel. It will get 20+mpg while towing a light car on an open trailer.

If you don't want a pickup then find a good Tahoe or Suburban.

If it's not going to be a daily, get a solid old V8 pickup or Tahoe/Suburban. If you're towing a car, the V8 will get better mileage than anything with a six because you won't have to flog the shit out of it. A long-cab pickup with a lockable topper on the bed would be about the best thing in the world for utility, IMO...

If you're a fan of the Ridgeline, I'm not sure why you'd rule out the full-size 4-door American trucks - they'll tow more stuff and haul more dogs.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Should've bought Gary's wife's Tahoe. It was clean and I think he sold it for around $6k
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Tahoe and Yukon are hard to beat for towing ability/pet and passenger hauling/ ease of maintainence and cheap parts, for the price range you are targeting. I'd think you are in the late 90's-early 00's for $10K with reasonable miles (under 150K should be plenty safe for those engines.) I'd also budget for a transmission rebuild or replacement. Anything that has seen hauling duty ( or lots of city driving) will be prone to weak auto tranny, but the axles, brakes and engine are damn solid on those. I have 210K on my 92 Chevy w/ the 350/5mt combo, and the motor (and clutch!) are original and still strong. Towed the NC on a tandem steel flatbed to Blytheville and back and got 15mpg.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Tahoe and Yukon are hard to beat for towing ability/pet and passenger hauling/ ease of maintainence and cheap parts, for the price range you are targeting. I'd think you are in the late 90's-early 00's for $10K with reasonable miles (under 150K should be plenty safe for those engines.) I'd also budget for a transmission rebuild or replacement. Anything that has seen hauling duty ( or lots of city driving) will be prone to weak auto tranny, but the axles, brakes and engine are damn solid on those. I have 210K on my 92 Chevy w/ the 350/5mt combo, and the motor (and clutch!) are original and still strong. Towed the NC on a tandem steel flatbed to Blytheville and back and got 15mpg.
    Just remember to carry a spare alternator with you!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw