Thread: Clutch issues

Default Clutch issues

This is an email from a friend of mine. Maybe someday he'll register on here. I've already given him my $.02.

My step mothers 92 miata is experiencing clutch
    problems. My dad changed out the slave cylinder but is
    still having problems getting pressure in the system
    after bleeding the system. Could this be a result of a
    poor bleeding job or could the master cylinder need
    rebuilding? I'm going to OK this weekend to check it
    out, just looking for some advice.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

If they are having trouble building pressure it defiantly could be a bad bleed job, or a failing clutch master cylinder. They can be a bugger to bleed!

Damn, you typed the words right out of my hands.

Hopefully he'll register here, he and his dad. He's the one, I was trying to get to the shock install. His dad is a muscle car guy, and doesn't get these foreign jobbies.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Yea I would def bleed the system at least 2 more times. I know this is a pain, but it works a lot of the time. Bleed the system then drive it around the block a few times and then bleed it again. If you bleed it and its so bad you can't shift without rev matching, then it is something worse than a bad bleed job. Check the master for leaks, sometimes they dont have to be visibly leaking fluid to be bad. I would also only use mazda genuine master and slaves, since I have used the crappy autozone ones and they aren't worth your time or money. Also make sure and use a snug fitting rubber fuel line....or a clear line to see if there are anymore bubbles. You may already know a lot of this, but thats my 2 cents. Hope you guys can get it fixed soon.

if either the master cylinder or slave is bad, change both, as they ususzally fail very close to each other.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Thanks guys! We appreciate it! He's drove up to Okl. today with a new Master in hand. I still think he had air in the line, but never hurts to overfix. Thanks again!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Probably too late, but putting a SpeedBleeder on the clutch made bleeding much more successful for me...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton