Thread: FS: New Toyo R1R 245/45-17 set of 4 $400

Default FS: New Toyo R1R 245/45-17 set of 4 $400

These are the tires I just got from OZMDD they have 8 runs on the bus lot, and I am having second thoughts on running them. I really don't want to start a tire war in the street tire class, and these really don't meet the sprit of the class.

I will sell them for the $400 I paid. If they don't sell I will run them, I will just feel bad about it

If somebody wants them we can meet up around McKinney.

The RS3 is a faster tire in some situations, but everyone is happy to use it. Why would this be different?

Cost per run of the tire. If you pay list for the R1R they are pretty expensive and they have a short life (from what I've heard). Most of the people that moved to the street tires class do so because they were tired of spending $20/run. If this tire becomes the must have tire for the class then we might as well be on R-comps.

edit.

What I am saying only goes for the local street tire class. If I was heading to Nationals I would have a set with me for cold or rain. As long as they are legal I don't blame anyone for running them.
    Last edited by Robert; 08-18-2011 at 10:29 AM.

I think you're thinking too much.

You may be right. I just don't want to be the one that opens the R1R box in the street tire class. It's already open in ST*.

The R1R's are not faster than the other crop of top tier street tires that everyone is happy to run (RS3, RE11, Star Spec) etc, I don't see your point it's not like everyone else is running Kumho ASX's. There's a reason Mike sold these and it definitely wasn't that they were too fast compared to his previous RS3
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I really think it depends on the weather, but keep it up, I am almost ready to keep them.

Any feedback from the Street Tire Class drivers? Should I run them or would you reather keep Street Tire Class R1R free?

When I got these from OZMDD he was getting a different size of R1R's mounted.

I think Mike getting rid of them was more to do with the size of the sidewall than anything.

Speaking from experience with my NA, the R1R is just as good as the RS3, but the per-run costs are too high. However, different tires are better with different cars, so it is possible that NCs do not like the Toyo, but I doubt it. I think you will see at Nats that the ST classes were a good mix if R1R and RS3, but not much else.
    Last edited by jrj512; 08-18-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: mispeling

Just to confirm, the reason I sold them was poor fitment; they were rubbing even with the ride-height raised. Measure twice, buy once...

I don't see any problem running them in Tire class. They are comparable to 3 or 4 other good tires out there. They each have their own pros and cons, but are relatively equal. The Falken 615K's and Yokohama's are pretty pricey, and the RE-11's ain't cheap either.

In STR, the top cars have not been consistently on one tire, but generally see a mix of RS3's and R1-R's at the top. Even at the TX Pro Solo where the weather got pretty cool by Sunday, I managed to hold onto 2nd with RS3's while the Toyo cars were all improving.

Dont' worry about it Robert, you won't be the only one on them.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."