Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miata Coil Packs for 2001-2005

Default Miata Coil Packs for 2001-2005

Wife's 2002 is having issues CEL P0300 and it runs like crap.

Is there a way to test the Coil Packs?

For those of you who aren't familiar with the 2001-2005 coils they look like this:

Given your previous attempt at troubleshooting, and the works for a while when cool symptom, I'd be back on the crank sensor page...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

But wouldn't those sensors should be kicking P0340 - Cam position Sensor or P0335- Crank angle sensor?

Back in '09 when it lost the Cam Position sensor it gave me a P0340 and would not stay running.

Today's failure it will stay running but acts like it is running on 2 cylinders.

but didn't you say it was the same no matter which coil pack you pulled? a fail(ing/ed) crank angle sensor will cause symptoms as you describe... I'd borrow Hal's coils and see if the symptoms change. I'm still leaning toward a sensor - crank angle, if I have to pick. Random misfire (P0300) should mean that you've had misfire on ALL 4 cylinders, or at least 3 of 4. Otherwise, you should have set an p0301, etc.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    but didn't you say it was the same no matter which coil pack you pulled?
    Yes but it wasn't in full shudder mode when I was unplugging stuff..... More testing required.

Hey POS,

I've got a set of coil packs off a 2001 out in the garage. you're welcome to try them out and see if it fixes the problem. I'm headed to Hallett tomorrow so let me know. you can swing by and pick them up or I can probably drop them off at the world headquarters on my way to work tomorrow. I'll be up for a while tonight if you're in a rush you can run over and pick them up tonight. you should have my mobile #.

Keith
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

^ This is why this Forum is the greatest!

Thanks Kiefersmith!

Plugged in one of the loaner coil on Friday and have driven it a bunch (about a 100 miles) so far no codes.

I'm still not convinced this was all that caused the problem but for now it appears OK.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 09-18-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Yet another freaking update. My bitter 1/2 drove the car to work today and reported back that it is running great.

So now I guess I need to order some parts... But

Since it is going to be my daughters car in just few short days I'm thinking fatherly and just replacing everything with all brand new parts Plugs, Wires, and Both Coil Packs. The TCB in me says just stick a used coil in it and hope it keeps running.....

If it was your car would ya just replace both coil packs with new ones? Or just replace the one that was acting up??

Wonder what the odds are on that second OEM coil pack failing in short order.

Given the environment they live in and the ease of replacement, I'd pick up two new ones, put both "bad" ones in the trunk, and make sure KK knows how to swap them if it freaks out...

Conventional wisdom would say "if one went, the other's not far behind." But all my years on the NJ Miata forum, I only recall people having problems with just one coil pack. I can't think of anyone that had both fail. There was one guy I distinctly remember that bought a used one that failed in short order as well, but his second original coil pack never died.

That said, if it was my car, I'd go used (or aftermarket). If it was my daughter's/wife's car, I'd probably end up replacing it all with new and hanging on to the other as a spare.

My dad bought an 02' with "blown motor" according the Dealer. Coil pack fixed it right up.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post

That said, if it was my car, I'd go used (or aftermarket). If it was my daughter's/wife's car, I'd probably end up replacing it all with new and hanging on to the other as a spare.
    +1
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I ordered 2 new coil packs, new wires, and new plugs..... It just goes totally against my TCB training......

But on a positive note the new coils were only about $69.00 a pop!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 09-20-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I ordered 2 new coil packs, new wires, and new plugs..... It just goes totally against my TCB training......
    TCB usually only applies to your own stuff though, not the wife and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    TCB usually only applies to your own stuff though, not the wife and kids.
    Not at my house!

hmmm...you might need to give me tips on that one some day. You know, when I can even TCB my car enough to get it moving.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Not at my house!
    Will someone please think of the children!?!?

Should have waved me down... I know a guy with an 02.

Hey NGK makes wires for the 2001-2005 Miatas! Just under $30.00 @ Rockauto.

Last edited by POS Racing; 09-23-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast