Thread: All the cosmetic problems with my 1999 Brilliant black Miata.

MiataProtege

ForSale All the cosmetic problems with my 1999 Brilliant black Miata.

Here are all the problems I have with my car cosmetically. I'm wanting to fix them all... and wondering what the cheapest route would be.

In this picture you can see where I backed my car up along a bumper. The white dots are just water marks... but the white/bluish line is from the contact with the bumper. As you can see it's slightly separated from the taillight.

Now these two pictures are of what my car came like. It has this nasty mark all along the bumper, looks really bad. I'm guessing he backed up under something and rubbed it against it hard.

And finally... the thing I hate the most about my car.... this paint decay around the Mazda emblem. Other than these things the exterior of my car is in amazing condition.....

So the reason I'm posting this is.... what are the methods I should take to fix all of these problems without wasting too much money? I was looking on ebay and found this rear bumper

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...item2567bcbd66

I'm wondering if buying this would be the cheapest fix to the problems on my rear bumper? Or could it be fixed otherwise?

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Send GregW a note he has a body shop in Ft. Worth.

Link - http://www.dfwmiata.com/member.php?1595-GregW

MiataProtege

I suppose my question is.... would taking it to a body shop be cheaper than ordering a new rear bumper? And ... can any of my problems be buffed out or fixed with an easy method I can do myself?

The badge area looks like the clear coat is coming off. If that's the case I know of no process to fix that the bumper will have to be sanded and reshot.

The rear bumper looks like the paint and clear are cracked from the bumper being hit with stuff. It's probably salvagable but will also need to be repainted.

My Silver NA is going to have to be re done all over. Every body panel except for the rear bumper, and one of the rocker panels have some kind of damage that will need bondo or smoothing out.

I'm not fully knowleable on body work past a shade tree level but my car is about to be my learning project :/. I plan to shoot it with a single stage paint and no clear. The car isn't worth enough money to justify a new multistage paint job.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

MiataProtege

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    The badge area looks like the clear coat is coming off. If that's the case I know of no process to fix that the bumper will have to be sanded and reshot.

The rear bumper looks like the paint and clear are cracked from the bumper being hit with stuff. It's probably salvagable but will also need to be repainted.

My Silver NA is going to have to be re done all over. Every body panel except for the rear bumper, and one of the rocker panels have some kind of damage that will need bondo or smoothing out.

I'm not fully knowleable on body work past a shade tree level but my car is about to be my learning project :/. I plan to shoot it with a single stage paint and no clear. The car isn't worth enough money to justify a new multistage paint job.
    Well I plan on taking it to a body shop tomorrow and getting price quotes for each thing. I just assumed getting it repainted would cost more than buying that bumper off ebay for $200.

Should I look for a new hood / new bumper in good condition and then sell my old ones with these minor problems and net a loss of like $100?

Additionally... the same thing was happening to my rear emblem... but after having it detailed they were able to take the rear one out and make it look a little better. They were unable to do the same with the front.

my question is why is this in the classified section?
    99 Miata Black

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    my question is why is this in the classified section?
    Good question....moved.

Take the bumpers off your self and sand them. Take them to a body shop and have them painted.

Can we just kill the thread already?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

MiataProtege

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Take the bumpers off your self and sand them. Take them to a body shop and have them painted.
    How much would it cost to have the full bumper painted would you guess? I suppose I'll find out tomorrow when I take it to the body shop... but I'm curious now too :)

Driver

Rogue does a damn fine job on making a car look great, he painted my ground effects and they still look awesome in spite of me ripping one off and hitting the stop blocks repeatedly
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by MiataProtege View Post
    I suppose I'll find out tomorrow when I take it to the body shop... but I'm curious now too :)
    So what did the body shop have to say??

i would say a good paint shop would charge 400 or more for a bumper

for that price I would just go and buy myself a compresser and pain gun and do it myself. Geez. LoL
    '94 Miata "M Edition" - sold
    '99 Miata w/td05