Thread: Wheel weight - Pros & Cons & Questions

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Wheel weight - Pros & Cons & Questions

I've been doing some reading on the effect lighter wheels have on a car's handling characteristics. From what I've read, it seems a lighter wheel equates to a lower unsprung weight. The more you reduce unsprung weight, the benefits are more precise steering input and improved 'turn in' characteristics.

My question is this - how much weight 'loss' would I have to realize in my wheels to gain any benefit? If I were to change to a 10.8# wheel from my current 12.3#, is dropping 1.5#'s per wheel going to make any noticeable difference/improvement?

It should, but I have a set of wagon wheels that I have run at a few AX's until the Vicoracers on them let the cord out . I can't say I really noticed any difference over the BBS. The car looks better with the BBS, is that worth anything!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    The car looks better with the BBS, is that worth anything!
    Looks are important, no doubt!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Default Re: Wheel weight - Pros & Cons & Questions

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    . . . is dropping 1.5#'s per wheel going to make any noticeable difference/improvement?
    Only if you are able to notice a "noticeable difference/improvement" Grasshopper :P
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region