Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazdaspeed3 as a daily driver?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Mazdaspeed3 as a daily driver?

I've got the fever. Please discuss.

FWD only? Meh.

I see this along the same line as the WRX. Given the choice I would go WRX.
    M3 is always the answer.

For a daily driver FWD is liveable....gas mileage can get so so if you can't keep your foot out of it.

I would love to have one as a DD, but I would probably get a lot of tickets. I would still like an RX8. I do not drive enough for the mileage to make much of a difference.

Wouldn't something like this be more "age appropriate"??

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

I had a Gen1 for a year. It was about the only thing that came close to meeting my broad spectrum of often-conflicting requirements and fell short by one (FWD). Did everything I asked of it, from full-on red mist aggro to trundling in traffic, while returning 23.8mpg average and a best of 26mpg. An intake and dyno tune will supposedly boost MPG. I was initially worried about the motor (interweb horror stories) but learned to get over it and just enjoy the thing; after all, there are tons of CX-7s running around with them. My *only* complaint would be the gearchange: under fast shifting I would get hung up on the gates, although never got the wrong gear (at least not while downshifting). I think of it as the poor man's Cayenne: usable real-world powerband, tons of cargo space, supernatural handling for its size (and no "for FWD" caveat, dammit), and wagon stealth.

If I could mentally handle the car payment I would still have it. Every time I see another one (bonus: there aren't that many) I feel a tiny bit stupid for selling it.

I've got a 2007 Mazaspeed 3 GT and it has been a great car during the 28 months that I've had it.

As a daily driver it does everything well. It has enough power to throw you back in the seat. You can throw in 10 bags of mulch in the back with out a problem. Sits four adults comfortable. I've had no issues with the car - only oil changes, tires and front brakes in 47K miles. It handles wonderfully (especially with aftermarket rear sways - even better with camber arms). I've been down to Austin twice with the car and it is a great highway cruiser, with tons of power to make short opening passes. Down there I did a few Bonsai runs on Lime Creek Road and the MS3 was stellar (before and after the upgrades). I know its faster than my Miata ever was (when naturally aspirated) and it was just as much fun. The car was well balanced and gripped like snot. I was very impressed. In the spring I swapped out the shocks (KW Variant 3 coilovers) from redmenance's old MS3 before he sold it and I added the camber arms (a must even if you are stock). I got a good alignment with specs from the MS3 forums. These three things really raised the fun factor on this car.

While playing around in the round-abouts (aka - my skidpad) in Flower Mound I've got all the push dialed out and it corners amazing well. When I first got the car I put on a rear swaybar. That along with adding camber arms (there is no camber adjustment in the rear and it comes with too much camber from the factory) to eliminate the push. I have taken it down to the Ranch (with just rear sways) and it just flew around the track. I'll take it down again to see how it does with the newest additions and log some lap times to see how it does. I have no idea about how it would do autocrossing - so I can't help you there.

I don't understand the "meh" comments it gets here and FWD gets a bad wrap also. Some cars with FWD deserve it. But I disagree that a MS3 is "meh". I know I prefer my MS3 over my brother's STi - both in looks and driving (those STi are awful cruising on the highway with a choppy ride). I've seen videos of a guy dogging Evos and Sti's at the Streets of Willow Springs in a MS3 setup similar to mine. I've been out the "Streets" and it says a lot about what the car can do in capable hands. It also get better gas mileage in the MS3 than in my Miata (computer says just under 24mpg) and I don't keep my "foot out of it" in either car. Although the Miata is usually driven a lot harder : )

So I know my MS3 is a very capable car and it is everything I need in a "OTM" car. I'm also having a hard time getting it away from my wife who use to drive a Z3 as a daily. Granted, I still love driving my Miata as much as I can, but the MS3 still puts a grin on my face every time I turn the key on (nice exhaust note from the stock pipe). I give it a big thumbs up - others just say "meh".
    Last edited by 2K Miata; 10-05-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

The 2nd gen one is fugly on the outside.

And the inside. Weird disco fabrics FTL.

The 1st gen one is so much better looking.

I think a 1st gen would make a great daily driver. I wouldn't touch a 2nd gen with a 10 foot pole.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    The 2nd gen one is fugly on the outside.

But it will be the only smile you've ever seen on Sammmm.

^^Agree with Ian on all parts. The new ones are funky.

I'm in the market for a plane-jane 3 myself...pre retarded grin, and 5spd of course. I know 5 friends that drive them daily, and I ride in one of them at least once a week. All of the combined great reviews have gotten me wanting one even though everyone I know drives one...If that helps. I hear the Mazdaspeed 3s are awesome cars, I just don't want to drop that kind of cash right now.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Yeah the first generation is the better choice looks wise for sure.

Why did they ruin the look of the car with that front end goofy grin?
    2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I agree on the fugly 2nd gen smiley face...they (Mazda) need to lose that trademark. Supposedly the 2nd gen suspension has been upgraded from the first. That's what I've read, but have no real world experience to back it up.

Thanks for the comments guys. Good to hear from those of you have owned/driven one!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

We really loved the wife's 3i. Having more power of the MS3 could only be better.

(Damn tough little cars, too. Took a licking and the wife is still ticking. FTW)
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

One of the Honduh civic ricer kids at work recently traded up to one identical to the first post. Knowing me to be a Mazda fan, he had to show me it. It's awesome (he let me drive it for a short jaunt). I've also been on the track with one at TWS. They are very capable and quick there as well. I'd hit it.

Just needs a set of Towmater teef stuck in the grill to pass muster in Oklahoma though.

As a pure daily driver I would say that the MkV & VI GTI is the best FWD hatch option. The interior is far more upscale then the speed3.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    As a pure daily driver that's still under warranty, especially the electrical components I would say that the MkV & VI GTI is the best FWD hatch option. The interior is far more upscale then the speed3.
    Fixed that for you.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I drove one for a couple weeks and loved it. Would've bought that instead of the Yaris had the price been right. I don't hate the gen 2 styling nearly as much if you get the correct color, or color-match the grin.

In black and dark greys, it is looks great.

Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Mazda has officially released pricing on the 2012 Mazda3 - http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/05/2...with-skyactiv/

I've had mine for just over 2 years, a late '08, used with less than 20k for less than $20k. I play String Bass and needed a hatchback. In my research, it was the quickest hatch for the $. Less cost and better mileage than an STI or EVO, quicker than a GTI. It will haul 4 adults comfortably or a lot of stuff with the back seats down. Maintenance has been oil changes, tires ($$), and front brake pads ($$$ at the dealer, $ if you do it yourself). It's comfortable on the highway, I was daily driving the SRT (121 tollway) everyday between Flower Mound and Allen.

The upside, Its fun to drive, never lacking in power or agility.
    The downside, It has way more power than you need on the street, i.e. a ticket magnet.

My Grey '08 (no hood scoop) doesn't attract much attention, so no tickets so far. I'd avoid a '10+ (hood scoop) in Red.

Do drive one before you decide!
    Last edited by EricJ; 10-05-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

New one is fugly, old one is decent but get ready for torque steer.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast