Thread: Realistic Guide for Value

Question Realistic Guide for Value

My sister is wanting to get rid of her 4Runner she is getting trade in values all over the map on it.

Anyone know of a decent guide for figuring out a realistic value on this thing??

I told her to take it to CarMax is that still a decent choice??

Only looking for dealer trade in values? Personal sale values?

Any dealership will try to work her/you over. That's just what they do.

If you're looking for personal sales, check out the 4runner forums. You'll have to do some homework, but that's generally the most "realistic" value you'll find for any vehicle. Would even be a good place to start for trade in values too - just figure that whatever you see on an enthusiast site will be slightly higher than what you should expect on trade in (and a bit less than you might get from craigslist, autotrader.com, etc).

Driver

Carmax will offer wholesale (ie. auction value) if it doesn't meet their criteria (accident history, miles, year, etc.). Depending on what it is and how old...

It doesn't hurt to get a quote from there though if it's a lower mileage recent vehicle.

If it is a newer car in nice condition, Carmax will give her right around Kelly Blue Book trade in value, and sometimes a little more if they really want it.

*** Based on my experience selling a 7 year old Mini Cooper S to Carmax.

I just need a baseline at this point since it isn't my car.

I just hate to see her give it away. Would loan value be a realistic baseline?

It a 2007 4Runner and last time I saw it it was in decent shape. I know around here the 4Runner is all the rage with the Orientals.

V6 / SR5 / 2 wheel drive / Black & Tan / 80,000 miles.

KBB says about $11.5k for fair condition, $13.5k in good condition, $14.5k in excellent (all assuming no accidents and no rust). My bet is Carmax will come in between $13k and $13.5k.

Thanks Titus!

NP... what range of offers is she seeing from the dealers?

She got an offer of $7,500 from a Toyota Dealer in Austin but I don't know all the details. I figured it was worth around $12K.

Looks like I will end up "helping" with this project.

Is this the same sister that that you end up "helping" dispose of a car for every year or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Is this the same sister that that you end up "helping" dispose of a car for every year or so?
    Well I have a sister-in-law that swaps cars at a rate that would make ken o's head spin.

But my sister has had the 4Runner about 4 years. She normally keeps the 4-5 years.