Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: blew my timing belt, accessory belt, and radiator hose...

Default blew my timing belt, alternator belt, and coolant hose...

...within a mile of each other. What are the odds. Currently waiting on a ride back to work where ill figure how to get my car home.

So since its a daily driver Ill be doing a tb job this week. Anyone want to join in on the fun?
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 10-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Well i have to say fixing all 3 at the same time is better then doing them at 3 different times.

^ Very true. haha.

Actually I miswrote that, it was a coolant hose at the back of the engine. Looks like a mofo to change, but easier with the valve cover off.

Anyone know what the coolant hose at the back of the engine on the intake side is called? it's not one of the heater hoses, it's on the other side. Looks like it's clamped between two pipes, or nipples off the engine. About .5 to .75 in diameter and maybe a couple inches long if I remember correctly. Never seen it mentioned of before. I'll have to take a better look at it after we get it towed home.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

One of the lines that goes to the intake manifold? Or it's just in that area?

The only diagrams I have are of 1.6s, and there's nothing really like what you're saying on those. Oil cooler line? It's been forever since I've seen a stock setup, so I could be way off on that one...
    Last edited by Rob®; 10-17-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Does anyone have a link to a decent parts diagram that might show that area? I cant find it in any of the coolant system diagrams, and the dealer can't find it either. My car is in a random parking lot at the moment but i'll grab a photo when I get to it.

If you know the shape of the hose, you can find it here and get the parts number:

http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/cate...eatured&page=2

What the F is this?? I think i've found the culprit..

Over an inch of play, but the bolt is still tight. Something's not right here. The bolt looks to be rounded off as well. Wonder if this car's been to Miata Technologies in a former life? :) Double checked and the TB is still busted.

Steven, that's the right hose, thanks!

Ouch, that's not muy bueno at all. I can't tell if it's just harmonic balancer or not, mine did go out, but it never came loose like that. It would just slip and i couldn't adjust the timing.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Broken crank shaft?

EDIT - Would a broken 'key' make it loose like that? (dunno)

It gets worse...

The bolt was actually not tight, just rusty. Almost hand tight. I pulled it off to dig further.

The key has been missing for some time looks like judging by the dust inside the channel.

Does everyone see what I see? I had trouble getting a good photo in this light. I'm in unfamiliar territory here...someone tell me how bad this is... I read on M.net things like this could result in replacing the crankshaft(engine) Is this damage light enough to be maybe repairable, or is it finally time for a 99 swap?

Better photo. In case you're wondering... the timing belt is fine.

Does the crank bolt thread back in? Is the key way damaged?

Give me a call after 10am at TDR and I'll see if I can offer suggestions. We have repaired a few damaged key ways.

We also have all hoses and hardware in stock.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The crank bolt threaded back in just fine. The keyway is damaged on the crank, but the timing gear looks ok.

Driver

Obviously it's time for an LSx.

How badly is the keyway damaged??

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    obviously it's time for an lsx.

Chassis Designer

The key probably just fell out when the bolt came loose. It's hard to imagine it driving the camshafts, not to mention the power steering, A/C, or alternator with it gone. The reason for all that dust is probably because the key didn't fit real snug, or the bolt backed out over a long period of time allowing some movement. You can probably clean up the keyways and loctite a new key in place.

Where are you in Euless? I have to run over there in the next couple of nights. I might be able to stop by if you'd like. When I took mine apart it had some of that "dust" present, and that main bolt was loose too. I used loctite on the key and the bolt and put it back together. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    How badly is the keyway damaged??
    Can you see the photos? They're pretty indicative of the damage. I'd get better photos but a monsoon just moved in.
    That's all I can see for now until I pull the timing cover and belt and take the timing gear off.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Obviously it's time for an LSx.
    My wife just cursed at me...thanks.

Don't think it didn't cross my mind though.

Jake, I might take you up on that offer. I want to see if it's minimal enough that locktite would fix it reliably. I don't want another failure while autocrossing or something. What days are you in Euless? I'm close to 183 and main.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 10-17-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast