Thread: Impact Wrenches and Ratchets

Default Impact Wrenches and Ratchets

Any one have any personal experience with any of the Harbor Freight Air Impact Wrenches or Ratchets?
    Feedback?
    Inexpensive alternatives for the shade tree light usage?
    The compressor is a 20 Gallon 1.8 HP, 155 PSI, 4.3 SCFM @90 PSI.

Debating this for Lug nut duty-
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...nch-94802.html

And this for Ratchet Duty-

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...nch-34900.html

I figure for the price, they are as good as anything to get me started. The reviews seem decent, and usually when I research HF stuff I end up with a decent product. I still swear by my drill.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've not used their impact wrenches, but do have a couple other air tools thy sell, stuff I only use for light, occasional duty (cutoff tool, air ratchet, brad nailer). They have been fine for the price. Oil frequently.

For impact wrench, I'd actually suggest you hit a pawn shop in an area with lots of blue collar-types and buy a used name brand. My Snap-On cost me under $75 that way, and I've seen plenty of other quality brands under $50.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I don't know if you have enough SCFM in your compressor the spec sheet on the impacts spec is 7 SCFM @ 90psi.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5198449_size...ompressor.html

And I agree with OZMDD!

Thanks POS, somehow I was thinking that one was rated at 4SCFM at 90psi.... that would have sucked!

What about this...
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...nch-94803.html

And I might go check out a pawn shop or two, but in the past the ones in this area are light on tools....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with Mike... for an Impact, pick up a used Snap-On (or similar professional brand). I went through a few different cheap impacts (HF, Craftsman) and then bought a $500 Snap-On impact for under $100 on Ebay. As anyone who has turned wrenches out at my house will tell you, the Snap-On impact kicks ass.

The IR 231 is a very common and very good impact sold by tool delears. The Mac tool AW234 is the same gun, happy shopping. When I was a Mac tool dealer a lot of my die hard Snap On customers bought AW234's from me....having said that Snap On has probably upgraded their offerings since those days.

You may just want to make a pass down harry hines and visit a few pawn shops there, mixin in a lunch at kellers. if you dont see what you want the HF doesnt look too awful of an option.
    95 r white

If you are just using it for lug nuts, I have had good results with the HF rechargeable battery operated impact, and you can use it anywhere.

FWIW, the two air tools I use the most (1/2" impact and 3/8" ratchet) are Campbell Hausfield. They're don't produce gorilla torque, but they've proven to be extremely reliable as long as I stick to my maintenance schedule - which is to say, I always forget to oil them, without fail.

Also check out some of the stuff at Northern Tools, then see if you can find it on eBay. Curtis has the most kick-ass impact wrench I've ever seen. It has a titanium chassis so it weighs nothing, but it has enough to torque to snap Grade 8 bolts and shatter sockets if you're not careful...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

For cheap air impact, I have had good luck with my Campbell Hausfield. If you are only running the impact for lug nuts or other short-burst use, ignore the scfm ratings on your compressor. The scfm ratings are for continuous use while the compressor motor is running (painting a car, running an assembly line, using exclusively air tools all day long, etc.).

I like the idea of an electric impact, but my experience tells me that I will destroy the battery with my bad battery habits.

I have a US general (Northern house brand?) composite-bodied 3/8" impact that is completely awesome. It outpaced a well used snap-on at a shop I used to work at when it was new. Plenty of torque, not too loud, light weight, and tough. I also care that it is not a violent tool to hold. I have used some impacts that shake my hand into cramps. My former 1/2" impact was like this. I don't remember the brand, but If I was hammering on a stuck CV axle nut for a few minutes, my hand and arm would feel it.

If you own a Honda and do your own timing belts, buy the one with the most torque you can afford. Search youtube for videos testing impacts on a torque measuring device. You will be surprised about how inaccurate the advertised ratings are.

Edit: Air ratchets are for cutting off your fingers. Go impact or use a regular ratchet. $.02
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

My $30 harbor freight electric impact (plug-in, not rechargeable) has been the most impressive, reliable, and functional tool I've ever owned. It's heavy and loud, but it works.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    My $30 harbor freight electric impact (plug-in, not rechargeable) has been the most impressive, reliable, and functional tool I've ever owned. It's heavy and loud, but it works.
    I've used mine in all the worst ways and it's worked every time. Best $20 I spent (on sale with a coupon). Saves a ton of time when rotating tires.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    I've used mine in all the worst ways and it's worked every time. Best $20 I spent (on sale with a coupon). Saves a ton of time when rotating tires.

I own one of them too..... Picked it up on sale too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    Edit: Air ratchets are for cutting off your fingers. Go impact or use a regular ratchet. $.02
    The only tool that almost took off fingers was my HF electric drill...

The ratchet is fine as long as you either A) break the target bolt loose first, or B) brace yourself and make sure your knuckles are clear. It's also nice to have two air tools available if two people are working in the garage.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds