Thread: Miata 1990-2005: Suspension: Bushings

Default Miata 1990-2005: Suspension: Bushings

I have the FCM custom coilover suspension on my NB. Love love love this setup.

I'm guessing the suspension bushings are the original OEM bushings from 1999. Time to replace? Is it worth spending anti-TCB money on Good-Win-Racing poly bushings? http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/20-1072.html

Any cheaper alternatives that someone has tried?

Don't know that you can assume they would be shot just because of age. Back in 2004 when I replaced the bushings on my '90 I was surprised what good shape they were in for a daily driven central Missouri car. That being said, I did mine with the Mazdacomp bushings since there was not an affordable Miata poly option such as Powerflex at the time. Do have their diff bushings in the diff that is currently on the car. With poly, and here will come the rimshots from the gallery, use quality lube and lots of it. And if it is Powerflex lube keep the nitrile gloves on and the shop rags handy. That is some tenancious stuff.

You should also really consider installing zerk fittings as the grease will dry up and the car will ride like a covered wagon. Having just installed some bushings on a customer's car, I can tell you it is quite a project. Plan accordingly.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasStig View Post
    I have the FCM custom coilover suspension on my NB. Love love love this setup.

I'm guessing the suspension bushings are the original OEM bushings from 1999. Time to replace? Is it worth spending anti-TCB money on Good-Win-Racing poly bushings? http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/20-1072.html

Any cheaper alternatives that someone has tried?
    The energy suspension/prothane bushing kit from 949racing is cheaper and much easier to install than the SuperPro kit. mr brg and I installed bushings on his car earlier this year and it took us 6 hours. We used the C-clamp style tool to press out the bushings. It took us 6 hours on our first try to complete the swap, which is pretty damn good.

I'd rather swap engines than do this job. I did not do zerks but I'll drill them "on the car" soon. Use the sticky grease that comes with the bushings, not typical "red" moly lube. Thank me later.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!