Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indoor electric kart track in Frisco open.

Default Indoor electric kart track in Frisco open.

Saw this on another forum. Looks like it might be fun.

http://polepositionraceway.com/dallas-frisco/

and here's a discount!

So is an unemployed NASCAR driver the spokesperson for these guys?

http://polepositionraceway.com/dalla...ive-and-drive/
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

2 mins from my house, wonder if we can rent it out for NYE
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I just bought a coupon, DragonflyMR2, Slowchildmiata, and I are planning to grab dinner and go karting tonight (December 20th) a little after 7pm. Anyone else interested pm me or call/text my cell if you have it. We will be figuring out more details shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    I just bought a coupon, DragonflyMR2, Slowchildmiata, and I are planning to grab dinner and go karting tonight (December 20th) a little after 7pm. Anyone else interested pm me or call/text my cell if you have it. We will be figuring out more details shortly.
    Today is 12/21.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Haha my bad, yes we are going tonight. Should be there around 830-845

Please report back.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Went with Greg L, David W, Nathan W, Joseph W tonight. Track is right off the tollway in Frisco about 1 mine from my house in Frisco Square. Much closer than DKC for most in the metroplex but completely different.

Track- is MUCH shorter, narrower with fast laps in the 26.X second range. It's basically in a well lit warehouse and lined with plastic barriers. There's a good mix of fairly fast speed sections and some tight U turns. The venue had some "pro" employees that were there and they jumped in with the 5 of us when they found out we were racers. Within a few races we were within a few tenths of their best times.

Karts have a lot of torque so you can actually accelerate from slow corners and handling varied a bit from kart to kart. My first kart was pretty neutral, second was really loose, third one pushed a bit. Anytime someone spun they cut 1/2 power to let the course clear which was pretty annoying if you're on a good hot lap.

Each race was about 5 minutes and we paid $30 for 3 races through a groupon type deal. This would normally cost $60 which would not be worth it but at $30 it was fun to check out. They give you print outs of your lap times/telemetry and rank after each race but I would say this is more of a family/social fun place rather than a serious motorsports venue.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 12-21-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Thanks for the write up.

Anyone want to go there tonight?

Going at 10am on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    Going at 10am on Friday.
    I'm in.

On their website they don't open till 11am on Friday.

Edit: Nevermind I see holiday hrs are open at 10. See ya'll then.
    Last edited by Nails; 12-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.

I had a good time. The track was pretty short and tight, but I guess that is to be expected of an indoor track. The big issue is that the teenage employees have a remote control and can cut power to one or all karts whenever they want. So ANY time there is a spin or bumping anywhere on track all karts are cut back to a .01MPH speed limiter. For our first session out it was absolutely ridiculous, we spent 70-80% of the time practically sitting at a standstill. This was especially annoying as our group wasn't the one causing any problems.

After that we complained and asked to run by ourselves for the 2 remaining sessions. The employees responded to this by getting weirdly competitive and put 2 of their "pros" in with our group. We ran the last 2 session with the track "pros", I passed one of them and most of our group got within a few tenths of their times. There were still some .01MPH shenanigans and some of the guys mentioned that if one of the "pros" caught up to them their power might have been cut for a few seconds just to force a pass. It was actually hard to tell when they were screwing with and when they weren't. I would estimate that in what should have been three 6 minute sessions we had the power cut at least 20 times.

The karts themselves weren't bad. As cosmos mentioned from a standstill they have a ton of torque. But due to the fact that they have twice the weight of a gas kart and most of it is located over the rear wheels they are very pushy at the limit. A few of the karts seemed to be a little looser but these were actually worse as they would refuse to put down power early coming out of a corner, maybe this was traction control, maybe shenanigans, or just my imagination. (Side note: If I was going to go back again I might try to bring some foam to put behind me to shift the drivers weight forward a few inches)

I had a good time. But looking back it was mostly due to the fact we went as a group.

Here's a video from another forum and you can see how much they slow the karts down remotely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYTAP...layer_embedded

Sorry Nails. I've got to skip it. Too many errands to run before I leave town tonight. But Wags and some of the other guys should be there.

No worries. Had a good time and met Chance and Andre who both own karts and were very fast. Chance ended up with FTD at 26.8 , Andre a 27, Wags a 27.1 and I was bringing up the rear with a 27.7. For the most part of 6 races we were running alone with occasional traffic in 3 races. Bo and his wife Ingrid joined in for one heat and Bo ran a second heat with a 28. Not bad considering he's been Miataless for 3 years or so. Overall, I thought it was a good value with the coupon. But I wouldn't pay the retail price. The acceleration is faster than the DKC karts though. I'll cut video later from 3 karts and post here.

Did you guys use 2 groupon each to get 6 races? I went today with Moto and ran 3 more . Tons of people with a bunch of random slow people that were blocking and did not know racing etiquette.

I would go on a random weeknight when it's not busy. I was able to use another $30 groupon they dont care if you are not a firs time member for the groupon.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I did use two discount ads with no objections.

I'd be excited to see the raw footage of Wag's laps, so I could have an idea of the faster line. It was a good time.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Ok so I just spoke with the people at Pole Position, and they said to rent the track out for an hour is 1,200 and they have not been rented out for new years. Is anyone interested in getting a group and renting out the track for a few hours that night? If we had 12-16 people I think the cost could come down to a reasonable level pretty quickly.

Just list here if you would be willing to seriously rent out the track and kind of how much you would be willing to spend. That way we can get an idea of how many hours we would want.

I will be gone before NYE, but a few details I remember from reading the flier:

-Hourly track rentals are a 2-hour minimum.
    -They will open the track for unlimited running when you rent the track out (I would expect this). I guess you could get the staff to organize races of any length of time/laps the customer chooses.
    -I remember the track rental being $1500 an hour, though.

If I were going to be here, and also if I had any money left after the holiday road trip 2011-2012, I would be up for it. Unfortunately, I will be 400 miles away and broke.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast