Thread: Which rain rail?

Default Which rain rail?

Found out today the source of my soft top leak is a cracked rain rail. I have a '97 but not the OE soft top (came with a newer top with glass when I bought it).

I found this http://www.rspeed.net/RSpeed_Mazda_M..._Top_s/285.htm and it looks like it's for NAs and NBs. Will this work? Is there anything else I should do/check when I put the new rain rail in?

Thanks!

This is not an easy install. You will need to pull the top and frame off the car. Check the condition of your top. If worn, you might as well order a new top with rain rail installed. Check the cables. If frayed or broken, they will need to be replaced. You need to tighten the nuts in a specific sequence where the rain rail mounts to the body. Finally, you need to make sure the rain rail is installed correctly around the rubber belt at the base of the top. The one mounted to the car.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Actually I fixed one I had with HVAC silver tape as a cheap fix when I replaced the back window with a used rear window. Didn't take the top out of the car just had to drill out a couple of rivets that held the rain rail to the top. Pulled both seats so I could get to the 706 nuts they use to hold in the rain rail.

Link - http://www.dfwmiata.com/threads/1471...OS+Rear+Window

Good stuff here - http://www.miata.net/garage/rainrail.html

Later I replaced the entire top with a better used top with rain rail.

Ya need to be careful but if you have some skills this is a DIY if not take it to Black Roadster or Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    This is not an easy install. You will need to pull the top and frame off the car. Check the condition of your top. If worn, you might as well order a new top with rain rail installed. Check the cables. If frayed or broken, they will need to be replaced. You need to tighten the nuts in a specific sequence where the rain rail mounts to the body. Finally, you need to make sure the rain rail is installed correctly around the rubber belt at the base of the top. The one mounted to the car.
    The top itself is in pretty good condition, but the rain rail itself is in bad shape. I'm familiar with the tighten sequence now but not sure about the rest. What cables are you referring to? I haven't got so far as to completely remove the top yet. Since I was able to see, just by removing the metal frame, that the rain rail is cracked in a few places I know I need a new one. It has already been 'repaired' using tape and still has problems.

What I need to know most right now is if the rain rail I linked is what I need, and what else I might need so I can get it ordered.

I just spoke with Gary at TDR. Going to pick up a rain rail from them sometime soon hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by GroceryHauler View Post
    I just spoke with Gary at TDR. Going to pick up a rain rail from them sometime soon hopefully.
    So what are ya getting? Same as RSpeeds or more better??
    Last edited by POS Racing; 01-09-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    So what are ya getting? Same as RSpeeds or more better??
    I believe he said it was a Robbins rain rail. Better? Worse? No idea...