Thread: 99 NB, Door Locks ?

Default 99 NB, Door Locks ?

Since ive owned my NB i could never get the doors to lock, from the switch, or from putting the key in the door and turning the lock.

Ive taken the door panel off and it seems the last owner cut the wires from the switch, that still doesn't tell me why my doors are not locking, i don't have keyless entry i have just a normal silver Miata key.

I can lock it, but as soon as you close the door, the lock opens. Im guessing this is so you don't lock the keys in the car
    because if i lock the car from the inside with the door closed, it stays locked, its only while i lock it then close the door that the lock opens back up.

Is their a way for me to disable the (Door locking when closing) so i can actually lock my doors ?

Even if i did get the switch fixed on the door panel, i don't have a remote to lock it from the outside, so i don't see what good it will do.
    99 Miata NB (Daily), 91 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (Toy)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Have you tried holding the handle up when you close the door (with the lock 'on').

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Have you tried holding the handle up when you close the door (with the lock 'on').
    Brilliant, that worked now my door will actually lock,

cant believe i have gone a year and a half without knowing that
    99 Miata NB (Daily), 91 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (Toy)

Classic.

MiataProtege

My dad laughed at me when I asked him that after I came home from buying the car. Some people have just never had that kind of car, don't feel bad.

Is this a generational thing? Those who started driving before keyless entry, and those who didn't.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Why would you want to lock the door on a convertible?

While many crackheads will still slice the roof to break into your car, by locking the door you are making it a necessity for those auto burglars who still have a brain cell or two functioning.

My plan has always been to leave the car unlocked with absolutely nothing of value in the car. There have been a couple of times that it was evident someone had rifled through my car, but nothing of value was ever missing.
    Last edited by onething; 01-16-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: I forgot to latch the screen door on my submarine
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region