Thread: Federal 595 RSR tires?

Default Federal 595 RSR tires?

So, has anyone here actually driven in a set of these? Price is right, specs look ok.

Hedderick, you mentioned them on the pointy board... Any input?
    $70 for NA sizes!!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Those have been available for years, I have always wanted to buy a pair to test. I'm pretty sure Apex2Apex bought a set a while back and didn't really like them. I have heard from a few sources that they aren't bad but not nearly as fast as the rest of the 140tw choices. And in general federals tend to have softer sidewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    Those have been available for years, I have always wanted to buy a pair to test. I'm pretty sure Apex2Apex bought a set a while back and didn't really like them. I have heard from a few sources that they aren't bad but not nearly as fast as the rest of the 140tw choices. And in general federals tend to have softer sidewalls.
    After the ECR Toy Run, Alan said "I am impressed with the undersize 195 RS-R, for $75/tire they make excellent cheap track tires. The next test will be how they handle the Texas heat."

Yes I have a set of 195/50/15 on 15x7 RPF1s. I have done one autocross (TMS) and one track day (ECR) in them. I had a bad alignment and a loose endlink at the autocross, so I can not make a fair assessment. But I feel like they are not very well suit for autocross due to they don't handle rapid inputs/direction changes well.

They did alot better at ECR, great grip with quite progressive breakaway. I think the compound is 90% gripwise compares to the other 140TW tires, too bad they are made undersized for such aggressive tires. The RS-R in 195/50/15 is a true 195 tire, unlike say z1* which is equals to a 205/215 width wise.

In summary, for the price I think they are great bang for the buck. Just don't expect them to be competitive with the top street tires. But at the same time, you are not paying their prices either.

I am running the 3.1 this sunday, I will report back how they deal with warmer weather and 30 mins of continuous abuse.

Alan
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Thx, that's all I needed to know. moving on...
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

All the reviews Ive read said that the were great, but they HATED heat. Once they were hot the were useless for almost an hour

Quick update after the track day ...

The tires performed admirably, did not expericing any heat issue with the 25 mins sessions in 70+ F temperature. My best lap was about 4 seconds off the pace (2:46 vs 2:50) to the 205 AD08 on 15x8, but I never had clean track all day due to all the high hp machines out there.

They are definitely comparable to all the HPDE street tires, video of them in action

Alan
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".