Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota's FT-86 concept

Default Toyota's FT-86 concept

Toyota’s Hachi-Roku for the new millenium

Quote Originally Posted by Autoblog
    Toyota's President Akio Toyoda has said the automaker is in desperate need of an excitement injection, and here's the first dose: the Toyota FT-86 Concept.

Inspired by the Corolla-based AE86 sports coupe of the '80s, the FT-86 concept was designed by the automaker's ED2 styling studio in France and bears a remarkable resemblance to the FT-HS concept shown at the Detroit Auto Show several years back.

Since it's a "concept," Toyota hasn't divulged much about the FT-86 yet, but we do know it's powered by a Subaru-derived 2.0-liter boxer four sending power to the rear wheels. Toyota focused on keeping the weight down to improve handling and, according to one source, the platform is unique to the concept. The engine sits lower in the engine bay to aid aerodynamics while keeping the center of gravity in check, and the overall dimensions of Toyota's new 2+2 are 163.78 inches long and 69.29 inches wide, with a wheelbase of 101.18 inches.

After the FT-86 bows in concept form at the Tokyo Motor Show next month, the production model will be shown sometime next year with sales beginning sometime in late 2011 carrying a sticker price somewhere north of $20,000

Hmm… not bad. The interior is obviously show car fluffery (unzipping the CD player slot?), but the exterior looks pretty production ready.

Keep the weight below 3000 pounds, offer a turbo variant with ~280 horsepower, a limited slip, and some decent brakes, price it around $30k and Toyota might just have a hit on their hands.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Nice looking car.

Like it and I'll admit to liking the AE86 as well.

If they keep the weight down I think even a low powered version would sell pretty well if priced ~$20K.

I'm torn on the decision to use a boxer. Never worked on them, how does basic maint. and upgrades compare to an inline four (though I guess alot of it depends on engine bay packaging)?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

extreme want.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

In GranTurismo glory already:

GT really is breaking into car marketing.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    GT really is breaking into car marketing.

Chris
    IIRC, GT had something to do with Subaru bringing the WRX stateside.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I likey, I'll take it
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    IIRC, GT had something to do with Subaru bringing the WRX stateside.
    I think it's a reasonable to think GT contributed a small part in our ability to purchase the Evo, WRX, and Skyline.

Chris

Not enough pix. I'd like to see where, exactly, the engine lies and the weight distribution. It certainly is a slick looking body with that low nose. Could be seriously fun :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

The video has a very small glimpse under the hood.

Chris

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...OKYO/910069998[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Autoweek article
    “Sports cars have to be red, but we wanted a new red,” chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said. “So we came up with shoujyouhi red, the traditional red color of a Japanese monkey's” backside.
    So it's "Monkey Ass Red"?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Keep the weight below 3000 pounds, offer a turbo variant with ~280 horsepower, a limited slip, and some decent brakes, price it around $30k and Toyota might just have a hit on their hands.
    This is doable! Subie has all the hard wares on the shelf already. And adding a blower etc. yourself should not be that bad considering all those Subies that are on the road that can donate all the goodies.
    Gabriel

Dare I say resemblance to 370z?
    1991 Mariner
    2003 Tahoe
    2004 Hayabusa
    1989 YSR50
    1997 SC300

I like it. Though I worry about power capability. They say "Subaru derived", which implies differences. Given it is Toyota, expect those differences to be cost driven, and for it to probably run ~180HP N/A (compared to the Subaru 2.5's 160HP N/A). They will be aiming it at the MX-5, so that will be the ballpark they will need it to be in.

We shall see though!

I'd prefer it if Mazda made the Coupe based on the MX-5/RX-8 Chassis that they have talked about.

Blog Entries

I like it. The boxer can give it a very low CG and hood line if they leave the inter cooler off of the top of the engine. I even like the color. One please.

I would have said magenta.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Well they have screwed the pooch once again.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast