Thread: I need Opinions to see if this is a good deal.

Default I need Opinions to see if this is a good deal.

I took my mom to the dealership yesterday to look at some new and used Miatas. There was a used white one, 2003-White-Black Cloth Interior with only 6k miles up there that she really liked. The windshield sticker said $16999 on it, but the used car salesman offered $14999 pretty quick after we told him we were just looking.

I don't know the difference in the newer NB models at all. All I remember is that it has the Wood Nardi Shift knob and wood Ebrake handle, and it also has the Nardi Steering wheel. Would this mean it is the Sport Model?

Is $15k a good price for an 2003 with 6k miles on it? Since he was so quick to offer it for $15k, i think we may even be able to get it a little lower.

What do you guys think? This is for my Mom that just wants a fun convertible.
    2012 VW GTI
    4 Door White

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

A quick search on Autotrader of used 2003 Miata's shows this -

$22,995 Highest price
    $7,400 Lowest price
    $17,557 Average price

I'd find similiar models to the one your looking at for price comparison.

The best way to determine if a car is a Sport is to check the label on the doorjamb. If it says "Sport S" under suspension then it is not a Sport. If it says "Hard S" then it is a Sport.

Wooden shift knob and e-brake handle on an '03 sound like aftermarket editions. The only '99+ cars that I know of that came that way from the factory would be the '00 SE (Mahogany Mica) and the '01 SE (BRG), neither of which were available with the Sport Package. The Nardi wheel was made standard on all Miatas starting in '00, iirc.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I don't know if I'd spend that kind of money on it since it will soon be an old body style car.

Plus if he's dropped the price that quick, that's a sign, he may have more to give!

What a carfax show, does it have low miles because it sat in a body shop for months??

I know the 2002 requires premium fuel or it will knock like a mariachi band, that make the gas bill a bit higher every month on our ’02.

Yup... Premium... My 2003 is the same way.

Most brands of Plus work fine, but you get more HP out of the car and better mileage too, if you run premium.

Look around to see if any 2004s are still left on the lot. I bought my 2003 last year in March - brand new, but left over on the dealer lot. They marked over 8k off the sticker. That made it real close to the price of 1 and 2 year old Miatas.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!