Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic locks and window regulator

MiataProtege

Default Automatic locks and window regulator

I got off school today and decided to give it a go and fix the automatic locks and window regulator. The locks were not opening all the way upon engine turn off on the passenger side, so I pulled the door panel off and tightened these screws:

Shortly after, the passenger automatic lock stopped working entirely, as before it would lock on engine start, and only half open on turn off.

Here's what I'm looking at, it looks as if a piece has broken on the actual plastic (red and black) of the lock. This part:

Additionally it could be the yellow plastic bit on a spring:

The problem with the window regulator... it originally would only go down an inch, I found a method of fixing it, by attaching the cord to a ziptie and it worked perfectly. However.... I fiddled with it... and cannot for the life of me get this cord:

Back into place. I accidentally hit the window switch and rolled the window up with that cord not fastened into it's hole, thus the wire pulled inward an inch and now will not give back that inch to be able to fit into it's crevice.

Fixing for both things??

Locks: Could I just buy new plastic bits for a couple dollars some where, or is the whole mechanism broken?

Regulator: Can that wire be lengthened some how, or am I forced to buy a $200-300 regulator and go crazy installing it myself? (I hear they are a pain)

Any thoughts are helpful! Thanks in advance.

MiataProtege

In WAY over my head. Disassembled everything and two things come to mind... paranoia of not being able to put it back in place.... and... can I even fix the problem?

I don't know if i need to some how retract the cable...and if so in which direction.

So yeah, based off these pictures.... is it broken beyond repair? Those cables seem too far out, can they be pulled back in?

And.... I definitely should NOT being doing this. Lol.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you didn't take both sides apart, look at the one still intact.

MiataProtege

Upon further inspection I have only managed to find 4 possibly broken things.

This looks like it should also have another piece to allow it to clip to the top of the regulator assembly, but it doesnt look important.

These 2 wires look pretty damaged at the ends, but I would assume I could still spool it as is.

And then this is the spool itself, also semi damaged.

Stop feeding the troll, Sammm!

Poetic justice at its finest.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    We have a troll? Where the hell have I been...
    Oh no now we have 2!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Just trying to help the lad.....I'm a giver!

BTW there is a guy on Miata.net with the same exact problem MiataProtege you may want to monitor that post also - http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=448098

MiataProtege

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    BTW there is a guy on Miata.net with the same exact problem MiataProtege you may want to monitor that post also - http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=448098

Asking both forums usually provides more responses, since normally one of them I'm getting trolled in. Lol.

After trying a few times to spool this.... it simply will not fit back into it's spot... due to the bent wiring. I'm about ready to concede.

Oh no now we have 2!
    Hiya baby! How ya been? I've missed seeing your little legs run around (you've always known how sexy I found them!)

Hiya baby! How ya been? I've missed seeing your little legs run around (you've always known how sexy I found them!)
    NM whats up with you El Beano?? Are you still going to school? How's the wife and Kids?

MiataProtege

Update:

Effectively zip tied the lose wire on the top due to the damaged clip, it held it place perfectly, then zip tied the regulator itself to stop the wires from spooling out... it worked one miraculous beautiful time.... and then broke again. Will only go down two-thirds, and will only go back up 90 percent, then you have to force it the rest of the way.

It is definitely due to the spool / wires. New regulator needed in the future. Giving up for now.

The automatic lock... the black piece of plastic you pull with your finger to unlock the car is broken, I will need a replacement piece for that aswell.

So lots of work and paranoia ending in 0 accomplishment. I suppose atleast now I dont have to prop my window up!

NM whats up with you El Beano?? Are you still going to school? How's the wife and Kids?
    Not much at all! I gradumatated in '09. Still waiting on UNT to get its act together to finish the JD portion. Gwen is fantastic. She's been cancer free for almost 2 years now and feeling a whole lot better. The kiddos are growing like weeds. My boy will be 4 in August and my daughter just turned 2. How's the family doing with you?

Not much at all! I gradumatated in '09. Still waiting on UNT to get its act together to finish the JD portion. Gwen is fantastic. She's been cancer free for almost 2 years now and feeling a whole lot better. The kiddos are growing like weeds. My boy will be 4 in August and my daughter just turned 2. How's the family doing with you?
    Everyone is doing great Wife still working for the county and quilting up a storm. KK is now 16 and a Sophomore in High School!!

Time flies!

So glad to here everything is going well for you guys!

Great thread drift.

Bean, mine are 7 and 3 now. Let me know if you wanna hang out sometime.

I bought a motor and actuator for my 00' MPV from an ebay vender for just of $50. Haven't priced them for the miata.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Treibenschnell - your daughter is a couple months older than my son. We'll have to get them a kart to share!

Doesn't UTD have a Law School opening up?

@POS - you've got mail!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Everyone is doing great Wife still working for the county and quilting up a storm. KK is now 16 and a Sophomore in High School!!

Time flies!

So glad to here everything is going well for you guys!
    No kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Great thread drift.

Hehe. Are you still over in Denton? BTW, you're old man is a helluva guy. I just wish the deal had gone through! But I gotta say, he was spot on with his diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Treibenschnell - your daughter is a couple months older than my son. We'll have to get them a kart to share!

Doesn't UTD have a Law School opening up?
    Haven't heard on the UTD story. UNT is supposed to get its act together for 2013. Supposed to.

Odd that you mention carts, you're the second person to say that to me about my kids! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Great thread drift.

I bought a motor and actuator for my 00' MPV from an ebay vender for just of $50. Haven't priced them for the miata.
    $50? The old engine let go?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    $50? The old engine let go?
    Ha ha Todd you be funny. The plastic crap inside the power window motor let go.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast