Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find SA2000 helmets?

Suspension Modder

Default Where to find SA2000 helmets?

I'm looking for an SA2000 helmet for autox and track events.. does anyone know of a local place that carries them?

Thanks! :)

Depends on what is local for you.

Bobby Archer Motorsports near downtown Fort Worth carries a selection. There is also a plce in Plano behind Texas Instruments, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Try a motorcycle dealer! They should have a "cost effective" solution available! I got an open face helmet at the Suzuki Dealer in Ft. Worth for $45.00 IIRC!

Make certain the helmet meets the standard that you need for AX!

most motorcycle shops aren't going to have any SA rated helmets. They generalyonly have M rated ones. Fine if you are just using it for autoX, but to run track events, no...

I got mine online from racerwholesale.com if I recall.. Full face w/ visor SA2000 for about $250.
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    most motorcycle shops aren't going to have any SA rated helmets. They generalyonly have M rated ones. Fine if you are just using it for autoX, but to run track events, no...

I got mine online from racerwholesale.com if I recall.. Full face w/ visor SA2000 for about $250.
    Actually M95 or better helmets are fine for most track days. Spec Racing and the like is a different story though.

I have a M95 and I've never failed a tech inspection.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse

Actually M95 or better helmets are fine for most track days. Spec Racing and the like is a different story though.

I have a M95 and I've never failed a tech inspection.
    Have you ever run with PCA, BMWCCA, Driver's Edge or NASA? Quite a few of them actually require SA helmets, especially in higher run groups.

Besides, if you're going to buy a new helmet and can afford to pay the upcharge for an SA over an M, why wouldn't you? It's never a good idea to buy the minimum safety equipment to "get by", if you can afford to buy better.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Suspension Modder

yeah I figured I should get the best..cuz it sucks getting driving to an event and not being able to run

Quote Originally Posted by Tn
    yeah I figured I should get the best..cuz it sucks getting driving to an event and not being able to run
    Sadly, it would suck even more to use one those $40 M2000 helmets... I'll wear one for autocross, but if there's any real opportunity to roll the car, I wear the Bell M2 full face SA2000... Not because it's SA2000, but because it's a Bell.

Suspension Modder

So where did you guys get your helmet? did you just buy it online and hope it would fit correctly, or did you go to a local shop and test fit?

This looks like a good deal! I want open face in the summer!

But TN has a good point I'd definatly want to try one on before i bought it!

I tried a loaner M2 and then ordered one... They were a little cheaper last year, apparently.

The HJC (Head just crunches) M2000, I got from a motorcycle shop. The guy at the counter gave me a nice discount "since I had just recently bought a motorcycle from them." Nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tn
    So where did you guys get your helmet? did you just buy it online and hope it would fit correctly, or did you go to a local shop and test fit?
    Definitely go and try a few on before you order anything. Helmets are like shoes - no two brands fit the same, and what works for one of us might fit you like crap.

BTW, I've asked the Maverick PCA list for the name of that shop in Dallas (which carried a number of Bell & Simpson helmets when I went by there last year), so hopefully I'll have a name and address I can give you sometime today.
    Iain

Hmmm... behind TI... Motorsport Sales, by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    The HJC (Head just crunches) M2000, I got from a motorcycle shop.
    My HJC helmet isn't even M2000 rated! It sux.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    The HJC (Head just crunches) M2000, I got from a motorcycle shop.
    My HJC helmet isn't even M2000 rated! It sux.
    What's it rated?

did the same.. I had a coupel people I knew aroudn town who had similiar helmets so I did a try before buy with theirs...

I ended up with teh g-force-Pro Force 1. I was cartainly glad I had teh visor the one time I spun at MSR. Frikken dirt went everywhere. I'd suggest if you go for an SA helmet to get a full face one.

And yes, I suggest SA. I plan to run soem drivers edge events, and I've run a track day at HAllet and I beleive they require SA as well.

you know if the opportunity comes up, you'll jump on teh chance to run a road course :) Don't want to kick yourself for skimping on teh helmet
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    This looks like a good deal! I want open face in the summer!

But TN has a good point I'd definatly want to try one on before i bought it!
    not bad, but I'd step up to full face..

[edit: link shortened] Click Here

Most of use guys run autoX anyway... It moight be a bit warm in there, but it's 30 seconds! I think you'll be able to handle it

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What's it rated?
    According to Garcia, DOT approval is not enough and just happens to be what my helmet is rated at.

Go figure... I just be an ignorant fool!

Hmmm... behind TI... Motorsport Sales, by any chance?
    Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

That's where I tried on a bunch of different helmets last year, before I bought my Simpson Super Bandit online from OG Racing.
    Iain

Call before you go... Pickings were mighty slim when I bought some oil from them last fall... Nice guy, though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast