Thread: Flushed Coolent, now strange idle problem

Default Flushed Coolent, now strange idle problem

Ok, so we flushed the coolent this weekend, changed the thermostat, & cleaned the throttle body(dirrrrty), car feels a tad bit smoother(probably the TB) but every time I come to a stop light, the car idles at 1.5 k for 10 or so secs, then drops back to normal, 750. Its just like the car is warming up in the morning, but it does this everytime I stop, & only for 10 secs, ever heard of this??

Ok another question: When I was cleaning the TB, I took a flashlight in there & poked around in the intake manifold, all black, the soot has to be at least as thick as a penny!! I think I really need to clean it out, but not sure how. Do you think I have to pull it & soak/scrub it, or just shoot some b12 in there like on old V8's (dont think this is a good idea, but I heard its ok for old cars).
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    Seafoam....
    Yep Seafoam!

Ok then, Seafoam it is!!

....wait...er...what the heck is Seafoam??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

The nice thing about seafoam is that it doubles as a mosquite fog....

I remember as a kid riding my bike behind the insect fogger.... twitch twitch

So I just spray the stuff directly into the TB?? Can you run the car with the intake off, or does the MAF have to be working to run??

I think the typicall application is as follows.

The seafoam comes in a pour type can. Start the car and run the rpms into the 2-3k range, using one of the vaacum lines on the intake, allow the seafoam to get sucked into the engine is small quantities. on the last bit of seafoam, shut the engine off for 10-15 min and restart. It will smoke like hell, but that means its working.

Chris

Ok cool, ill try that this weekend.

I think im going to run a bag of sand through there too, get it ported & polished while im at it

Any ideas on the idle problem??

It is said that you should also change the oil after doing the seafoam business, as some of the solvents can dilute your oil. I don't know if this is so, but this just means you time your top end cleaning to be just before an oil change.

I'm due an oil change soon - not quite 3000 miles and already the HLA noise is building up - and before I do it, I'll do the seafoam thing, sucking into the cruise control vacuum tube (there is a slightly better placed tube but it isn't as convenient). I'll use a g-clamp on the tube to squash it and control the flow.
    "Get to Heaven half an hour before the devil knows your dead"

www.myspace.com/theelectrics

Crap, I just did my oil...

Here is one of the many write-ups on the WWW on Seafoam! You can buy the stuff at O'Reilly's.

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html

For an NA Miata you can use the vacuum port on the forward top of the intake, works great!

I bet you idle issue is due to the cars ability to breath easier, give it a day and see if it goes away. The POS did the same thing last time she got cleaned out.

^Very good read, thanks

I think I need to do all the above. Im sure the fuel filter is probably nearing the end of its campaign, as is alot of stuff on this car(the PO kept up with the normal maintenance very well, but I dont think he was too much of a car guy to bother with much else), so I have a feeling it will be clogged up somthin fierce, that probably will need to be replaced at the same time.

Man all these little things are piling up quick, im broke, but I want to have the car in tip top shape before I jump in the racing season, & the worst thing on the car is the shocks, theyre bloooowwwwwn...I dont know how im going to do it all.

When you changed the thermostat did you put the same temp back in it? If you went cooler it may be thinking it's still warming up. Just a thought.

Yea I thought about that, thing is I have no idea what temp is in there. It looked like the OEM one that I saw, so its probably the original thermostat. I think the one I put in is 190, its what they had at pep boys(I wasnt paying 30 bucks for the OEM one).