Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRZ or FRS?

Default BRZ or FRS?

If you were picking one which one would it be and why?
    M3 is always the answer.

You need to go see if you fit in it first. I went and looked at an FRS and it is a little car.

Brz. The nose looks nicer to me and it at least has two standard trim levels.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

FRS so I can still hang out with the Evo guys.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

BRZ... only teenage girls and old people drive Scions.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    ken o is an old people...

I am definitely in the BRZ camp. The engine seems like the superior choice to me. I toyed with the idea of replacing the MX-5 with one, but I'm going to wait a couple years and maybe pick up a used one. $27K is too much for me to spend on a car that I will attempt to destroy on a weekly basis. It looks a little better too, but you obviously don't care about what your cars look like.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Will Ken O be able to get one in an automatic? He seems to prefer them, now.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I am definitely in the BRZ camp. The engine seems like the superior choice to me. I toyed with the idea of replacing the MX-5 with one, but I'm going to wait a couple years and maybe pick up a used one. $27K is too much for me to spend on a car that I will attempt to destroy on a weekly basis. It looks a little better too, but you obviously don't care about what your cars look like.
    Aren't the engines the same?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    That and Toyota dealerships are the worst out there.

I think the engines and power are the same. I thought I read that the BRZ was better setup for handling. Looking at ads some dealers are asking $10K over MSRP, BAHH HA HA HA HA....
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I think the engines and power are the same. I thought I read that the BRZ was better setup for handling. Looking at ads some dealers are asking $10K over MSRP, BAHH HA HA HA HA....
    Is that not enough over MSRP for you??

Yes, I just realized the engine is the same. I was under the mistaken impression that they were not identical. I do understand that the handling characteristics are different. Maybe the spring rates? I've read too many articles to keep it straight.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

They are mechanically identical except for something in the suspension (either spring rates, dampening or sway bars) that, according to one of the big car magazines, causes the BRZ to handle more neutral, and the Scion to be more tail-happy. This wasn't a trick ForeverZero, it was a joint venture from the start, basically Subaru engineered the car, with money from Toyota, and was allowed to borrow some of their tech (direct injection, 6-speed, etc.). Toyota funded most of the project and took care of the styling. Subaru is also manufacturing them all. This is all from what I understand from reading about the car for the past year, so I could be wrong (I did read it on the internet after all).

Anyway, I'd take the Subaru over the Scion any day because I'm a rally fan, but even if I wasn't, I think its better to buy from the company that actually designed the important bits. I think its funny that in the comic above, they say Toyota did the styling because of the Tribeca, but come on: the Scion xB is right up there with the Pontiac Aztec for the most hideous wheeled vehicle ever created.

I love the BRZ. Still waiting on an STI trim.
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Cory
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote Originally Posted by CHeavin_2006 View Post
    Has that been confirmed by Subaru? I know the turbo doesn't fit in the location the WRX/STI has it, because the engine is further back and it would have to be mounted in the glove box, lol. 250hp NA doesn't sound too bad to me for a light 4cyl.

From what I've read it looks like it's a confirmed no turbo. I agree, I'm not disappointed with 250hp out of a naturally aspirated 2.0, though.
    Cory
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

I found this very interesting. The author calls them out on three different points; mid-engine, double wishbone, and camber adjustment.

Damn glad I drive a Miata and further reinforced in patiently waiting for the ND. Thanks to modernbeat for finding this article.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast