Thread: NC race car

Default NC race car

I really like the looks of this.

NEW YORK — On any given weekend, there are more Mazdas on the road-race tracks of America than any other brand of vehicle – and the venerable Mazda MX-5 Miata is the vehicle of choice. In fact, the fastest-growing road-racing class in the United States is the Sports Car Club of America’s (SCCA) Spec Miata class, with more than 1,000 identically prepared Miatas tearing up America’s racetracks.

Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today unveiled the next generation of Spec Miata at the New York International Auto Show.

"With the all-new 2006 Mazda MX-5 as a starting point, it was easy for us to create the fastest, best-handling and most comprehensively prepared Spec Miata yet," said Steve Sanders, manager, MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development. "The combination of a tuned suspension, a willing engine and consistent braking means Miatas always have made terrific racecars. With more grip, more power and more stopping ability, the new MX-5 is the perfect starting point to be the very best Miata racecar yet."

The Spec Miata series provides an affordable, entry-level nationwide class whereby amateur racing drivers can compete in inexpensive, identically prepared first- and second-generation Miatas. The greatest attraction of the series is that all regions of the country use similar rules and regulations, enabling drivers to compete nationally and always remain competitive. Components for the cars are sold directly through MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development (www.mazdaspeedmotorsports.com), which also supports the program monetarily with contingency awards to successful drivers.

The all-new 2006 MX-5 Miata is powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder MZR engine, derived from the powerplant used in the MAZDA and MAZDA . In stock trim, it produces 170-hp at 7000 rpm and a very flat and usable torque curve peaking at 140 lb-ft. at 5000 rpm.

To turn the new MX-5 into a racecar, MAZDASPEED turned to a number of respected suppliers and partners, and the build-sheet reads like a who’s-who of the racing community:

ENGINE

Racing Beat stainless steel header and exhaust system

Idemitsu racing lubricants for engine, transmission and differential

SUSPENSION

Racing Beat swaybars

MAZDASPEED shock absorbers

MAZDASPEED springs

Racing Hart wheels, sized 18 x 7.5 inches

Hankook Ventus DOT-legal racing tires, shaved to racing depth

INTERIOR/SAFETY

AWR custom-designed and fabricated six-point rollcage

AiM Sports MXL Pista custom dash display and data-logger

Sparco racing seat

Sparco steering wheel

Sparco six-point racing harness

Maziora custom-blended paint from Nippon Paint

Mother’s polishes and waxes
    MAZDASPEED’s intention is to use this car as the prototype from which they will further develop the package of components that will transform the MX-5 for the 2006 season of a professional Spec Miata series. As testing continues, some of these parts may change as MAZDASPEED hones the car with the perfect combination of cost versus performance.

Often held in conjunction with SCCA professional road-racing events and sanctioned by SCCA Pro Racing, the current MAZDASPEED Miata Cup professional Spec Miata series is absolutely the least expensive way to participate in top-flight road racing in front of professional teams and large crowds[/img]

Looks like they had to remove the top to fit a proper rollbar. You mean the factory rollbars weren't sufficient???

Nice find.

S.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sweet! Doesn't look like that full cage would pass the broom-stick test.

18"x7.5"?! I'd rather see a nice set of 17"x8.5" or 17"x9".

Other than that, it looks sharp. The car looks pretty damn good in Emerald Mica as well - a lot better than that Nordic Green crap! :P

Seriously, glad to see the 787B paint scheme again, and the fact that Mazda is already looking at Spec versions of the NC bodes well for the car.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    ... the fact that Mazda is already looking at Spec versions of the NC bodes well for the car.
    Perhaps a clubsport might become available after all.

Cool!! But not going to be legal in SM anytime soon. They're just now getting around to allowing the 99-04 cars in.

i like that, thats sweet. now all they need is a hard top to fit it.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

I like it a lot! Especially the paint job.

New wallpaper!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Could Jim Daniels be ANY more cocky? His website is rediculous. His entire crew is like that as well. They're a total pain in the butt to deal with.

But that car is hawt!!

Here is the full set of 88 pictures:

http://www.awrracing.com/pages/06MX5R/

The car already has a hardtop to match. It will be required for racing, but these were just promo shots. The guy in the drivers seat is Robert Davis. He's about 6'2" and at least 250#, and the seat is on the floor. The two inch rule does not apply with the hardtop. All of his cars since I've know him (1996) have had the same paint scheme. It's tough to compete when he already has an NC in race ready condition while the rest of us have only seen picture.......SIGH!

I just LOVE the car. The wider track, increased power and rigidity, increased suspension travel are moving the Miata up a notch....or TWO! It should be AWESOME on the track...... I can't wait
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    Could Jim Daniels be ANY more cocky? His website is rediculous. His entire crew is like that as well. They're a total pain in the butt to deal with.

But that car is hawt!!
    You know what they say.... "If you can do it, it ain't braggin!", and he certainly can do it! I'm not a fan of his, either, as the first time we met on the track (Road Atlanta ARRC) in the first qualifying session, he purposely blocked me coming into turn 10A as I was passing on the inside, leaving me NO room. Totally unnecessary move, but that's how he plays the game.......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I'd like some time alone with those racing hart wheels.... I have wanted a set of Racing Hart C2's for forever... Nothing looks as good on a miata IMHO....

18" are a bit over overkill, but 17"..... mmmmmm.... racing hart......

Chris