Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1993 Miata will not idle

Default 1993 Miata will not idle

My car stopped idling all of the sudden and I can’t figure it out. Other than the idle issue, it runs fine. The engine is basically stock except for a header, exhaust, intake, and light-weight under-drive pulley. I have used this configuration since 2009.

Here is what I have done:

- Checked the plugs. Looked fine.
    - Tested back-up set of wires.
    - Used soapy water to test all of the vacuum lines, but I only tested the ends, not the rest of the lines. Hmmm. I will have to revisit the lines.
    - Cleaned throttle-body.
    - Tested air-valve using freezer and hair dryer.
    - Replaced the PCV valve and grommet.
    - Tested TPS with OHM meter.
    - Tested secondary coils with OHM meter.
    - Tested primary coils with OHM meter, but I did not get the expected results. Seems odd that it would be the ignition if the car runs fine otherwise. I was going to pull the ignition off a friend’s car and try it. Anyone think this is the cause?
    - I do not have a CEL, but the there are two codes stored in there – 3 and 15. I replaced my O2 sensor a year ago. Even when it was malfunctioning, the engine did not act like this.

Any other ideas?

Maybe if you lost 20 or 30 lbs...

There is a write up in the garage section on the pointy board which covers idling issues and is specific to the 1.6.

I have issues where my idle will not come down immediately after coming to a stop. My idle will drop down to 1300-1400 rpm and after 5-10 seconds drops down to normal.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

This is the pointy board article of which he speaks... http://www.miata.net/garage/isc.html
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    This is the pointy board article of which he speaks... http://www.miata.net/garage/isc.html
    Thanks TC, its not easy for me to put links in while on the phone (or maybe I just dont know how to do it!).
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Thanks. I thought I already checked everything in this, but I will check again.

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    Maybe if you lost 20 or 30 lbs...
    Winning's not a problem. Just idling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Winning's not a problem. Just idling.
    Really I thought you got Hiromoto'd yesterday??

IAC Tests out OK??

Unplug the IAC and see what changes. My money is on the IAC.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I think thats my problem too.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    IAC Tests out OK??
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I think thats my problem too.
    I think I mistakenly bundled this when I tested my TPS, so I never tested it. I will have to try it. Thanks!

"stopped idling" - Does it die when you take your foot off the gas or run at above 750 RPM?

Does it change with Ground/Ten connected on the diagnostics port? If so, what does it do?

Is the idle control screw still there? Did it shake loose?
    On my '94, some one had adjusted the idle via the stop screw on the throttle cable instead of the idle control screw at the top of the throttle body. After adjusting the stop screw it would die until the idle control screw was adjusted.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    "stopped idling" - Does it die when you take your foot off the gas or run at above 750 RPM?
    It does down to a very low engine speed and then dies.

Does it change with Ground/Ten connected on the diagnostics port? If so, what does it do?
    It does not improve.

Is the idle control screw still there? Did it shake loose?
    Still there. I have not touched it, yet.

As usual, I bet you have something stuffed in your exhaust hole.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Whining is not a problem. Just idling.
    Fixed!

I don't know much about the other tests mentioned, but I would definitely take a good look at the rest of the vacum hoses. Also, how are your grounding straps/battery terminals?

Let me know if you are going to work on it any evening this week; I'll be happy to come by and keep Leilane company. (or help you, I guess...)
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Does your car have the Racing Beat Sway Bar Brace Kit Hardware on it?

Not that that would have any bearing on your current problem but for some reason it just seems like a required question in the Miata Tech Section these days!

Did you fix it yet BTW??

Did you fix it yet BTW??
    I will not be able to work on it again until Wednesday or Thursday.

Does your car have the Racing Beat Sway Bar Brace Kit Hardware on it?

Not that that would have any bearing on your current problem but for some reason it just seems like a required question in the Miata Tech Section these days!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

[QUOTE=POS Racing;270853]Does your car have the Racing Beat Sway Bar Brace Kit Hardware on it?

Not that that would have any bearing on your current problem but for some reason it just seems like a required question in the Miata Tech Section these days! QUOTE]

There is an easy explanation/connection to this idle problem with the sway bar brace. It is the magnetic resonance, the lacking of, which diminished the force field and makes your coil pack not working and hence the idle problem! Easy!
    Gabriel

If nothing changes with ground/ten connected, then it's probably not the idle air control valve. IIRC the ECU controls it. That's why when adjusting the idle screw ground/ten is connected.

If opening the throttle, just a little, fixes the problem, could something be clogging the idle air bypass?
    On my '99, I had to do the intake manifold clean for the EGR valve issue. When I did it, I also pulled off the throttle body and idle air control valve and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner. The throttle then closed properly, causing it to die at idle and requiring re-adjustment of the idle screw.
    I just squirted throttle body cleaner in the idle air bypass. I read not to remove the idle screw completely. It's hard to get back in.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast