Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll Bar question

Default Roll Bar question

What do you guys think about the plain Jane rollbar from Hard Dog?
    Dont remember what its called but just has a sincle hoop that spans the width of the car.

Its the cheapest real bar they offer, and works with all years.

I was thinking this route later as opposed to the more expensive ones, just curious if anyone has this model and iif so what they think of it.
    99 Miata Black

You'll need a rollbar with at least 4 legs to get any significant protection. I don't believe the Hard Bar has 4 legs -- only 2, which will not provide enough support in the event of a rollover. Go with a 4 legged bar.

If you need one on the cheap, check the Miata.net classifieds. There are usually a few rollbars floating around.

S.

My M2 sport is the most basic 4 legger. I got it with harness tabs. With the top up you cant even tell it is there. I like it.

Default Re: Roll Bar question

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    What do you guys think about the plain Jane rollbar from Hard Dog?
    Dont remember what its called but just has a sincle hoop that spans the width of the car.

Its the cheapest real bar they offer, and works with all years.

I was thinking this route later as opposed to the more expensive ones, just curious if anyone has this model and iif so what they think of it.
    What's your head worth?

FWIW, the basic Hard Bar (which secures to the unibody in only two places) won't pass tech as a "real" rollbar at any place that requires one. A main hoop with a minimum of two rearward supports is almost universally required, and diagonal bracing of the main hoop is typically recommended.

I've got the beefiest bar Hard Dog makes in my car - the Hard Dog HardCore, with double diagonal braces. I can still lift or drop the top from the driver's seat (although it requires two hands, not one), the double diagonal interferes less with rearward vision when the top is up than the single diagonal does (not that it "interferes" with rearward vision in any noticeable amount), and the bar will pass tech anywhere.

Basically, if you want a bar for protection, you have two options in my mind: the Hard Dog HardCore and the Hard Dog Sport. The Sport sits further back and slightly lower, is made from smaller diameter, thinner wall tubing (although it still meets both SCCA GCR & PCA minimums), and has bent rear supports (which are a gray area with some event organizers). By contrast, the HardCore has thicker tubing, is about the talles bar you could reasonably fit under the soft top and hard top (mine has about 1/32" of clearance under tha hard top), and straight rear supports, which are recommended.

You can order either bar with no diagonals, a single diagonal, or double diagonals. If you decide on diagonals, go with the double - the single cuts right through the middle of the rearview mirror, and is much more distracting, imho.

There are other companies that make bars (Brainstorm, Boss Frog, etc.), but none makes a safer bar, imho. The others are all either too short, don't extend far enough on either side of the cockpit, or have to play wording games with Tech requirements to be "legal".

Remember, at the track the Tech inspector has the last word on whether you get to run or not, regardless of whether your bar's manufacturer says it meets specs or not. Don't give him any excuses to fail you, and buy the most/best protection you can afford.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Default Re: Roll Bar question

Quote Originally Posted by altiain

What's your head worth?
    What he said...

For what it's worth, I have the Hard Dog Hard Core Hard Top Double Diagonal and love it.

Kewl, thanks for the Heads Up,.. no pun intended.
    99 Miata Black

I have the Sport in the white. I would rather have a har core but $ is short. I got mine on an ebay special of 140 iirc. On black I bought one from CPRacing in canada. I would NEVER recomend this bar to anyone. It interferes with the seat, shipping took only 5 day to get here once he shipped it. It took over three weeks for him to get up off of his lazy but and ship it . Weld in bar to boot. By the time I painted it, had tabs welded in for camera and wind screen I could have bought a NEW Hard core.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Sounds like you had an alround bad experience, sorry to hear it.
    99 Miata Black

I like the Rollbar Majik has, I am thinking I will most likely go with that one. It does not look to hard to install but I dont have the cutting tools needed,...looks like it would take some time too...I have read some instal sheets on this and it looks as if It ranges from 5 Hours to 2 days depending on how fast you wanna get the bar in.
    I imagine after riding with Tailchaser that it would be pretty hard to roll a lowered Miata....lol
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I imagine after riding with Tailchaser that it would be pretty hard to roll a lowered Miata....lol
    As long as you stay on the road, you should be fine. Slide into a curb or off a wet road into some mud at speed and you could be rolling faster then you know what hit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    My M2 sport is the most basic 4 legger. I got it with harness tabs. With the top up you cant even tell it is there. I like it.
    Same one I've got.. M2 Sport, DD, w/ harness tabs...

Unless you're an all out track fiend, I'd say go with this one as well

Does anyone have the BSP SOLO II roll bar? it's supposed to be better for us tall guys. I'd like to find one and sit in it and see how it goes.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I've got a Hard Dog Hardcore Hardtop with double diagonals for the M1. The top of the hardtop model sits back further than the non-hardtop model, so it is more friendly for taller people. The only drawback is that you cannot use a glass rear window with it, which I have on the car right now, and it has been sitting in my shed for a year and a half now.

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    ...The only drawback is that you cannot use a glass rear window with it...
    This is a problem for me as well... I'm not about to ditch the softtop on my '04. It may work for 3Bean, but not me...

Edit: Do you know if this applies to the M2 bar as well?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

No Dave,

Rollbars are made to fit the glass windows on the NB...

He's talking about a glass window on an M1/NA...

Many rollbars don't fit those because they have larger windows on them than the OEM NB tops

Just to be sure, make sure you get a rollbar that is specified to fit the NB. If you get an NA bar then you may run into issues

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Rollbars are made to fit the glass windows on the NB...

He's talking about a glass window on an M1/NA...

Many rollbars don't fit those because they have larger windows on them than the OEM NB tops

Just to be sure, make sure you get a rollbar that is specified to fit the NB. If you get an NA bar then you may run into issues

RJ
    Right you are, Ken!

On the NB rollbars the rear supports mount differently than an NA rollbar. This is accomplished differently by several vendors. I have one of the Robbins tops with the glass window on my NA, which happens to be somewhat larger than the one on the NB. While this is great for visibility it has forced the removal of my HDHC. I've been tempted to try one of the Boss Frog clear view bars, but I cannot find any independent confirmation of the Robbins glass working with them.

Anyone looking for an NA rollbar? I'm getting kind of tired of hearing "When are you going to do something with that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    Anyone looking for an NA rollbar? I'm getting kind of tired of hearing "When are you going to do something with that thing?"
    I have been looking for one for some time now, although I still havent been able to sit in an NA with a HDHC installed, except for 3bean, but his is a hard top version. So im torn between the HC or the sport, with me fitting under it comfortably being the deciding factor.

PM me & let me know what you want for it.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I'm looking for a good roll bar also, Hard Dog looks to have the answer but until I sit in a Miata with the roll bar installed I won't buy it.
    I'm 6'2"+ and I move the seat all the way back and tilt it, when I lean back the base of my skull touches the top of the seat for about 1".

Does anybody have a 99 that I could sit in, with the stock seats, and check clearances? ?
    David
    Waxhachie (will drive almost anywhere though)
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX

David,

Come out next weekend to Motorsport Ranch (Info in the Track section) where you will likely see all sorts of combinations of Miatas with rollbars.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I have a 99 you can sit in. I am thinking of putting racing seats in it in a month or so though.
    99 Miata Black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast