Thread: High NOX... failed smog...... Grrrrrrrrrr

Default High NOX... failed smog...... Grrrrrrrrrr

Well, I pilfered a cat out of the scrap bin at work ( the intake tube had been bent in an accident and the honeycomb looked pristeen) and had a muffler shop weld it in at lunch. I went back for my one and only free retest and FAILED with high NOx. SUCK.

I have been reading a bit, could the high NOx be caused by 14* base timing? It only failed on the 15mph test, I barely passed the 25mph test.

Chris

That does suck. What's your timing at?
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Default Re: High NOX... failed smog...... Grrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    I have been reading a bit, could the high NOx be caused by 14* base timing? It only failed on the 15mph test, I barely passed the 25mph test.

Chris
    Ding Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! I think there is something to what you have been reading. Set it back to 10* and give it another go! The POS only gets tested at 10*, and with 160,000 on the original it passes.

Wow that was fast, it's like it never existed, just like that movie ......
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

PASSED!!! Finally. Turning the timing back to 10* base did the trick for me on the High NOX. Yeah!!!!

Chris

Just make 2 marks on the CAS... One at 10 degrees and one at 14...

Then you can be a Lazy Bastard and reset it without having to dig out the timing light.

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!