Thread: Howdy - 2011 Mx-5 PRHT

Default Howdy - 2011 Mx-5 PRHT

Hey everybody! My name is Christina, I'm an active member on dfwmazdas.com. I started out with a 1999 Protege, first new car was a 2006 6 si, and now i've got the 2011 MX-5 (less body roll, love it!)

I thought i'd pop over here and say hi now that we have lots in common :)

First question:
    I bought this car last year around this time, and recently, it's needed both rear struts replaced (under warranty, whew!). I asked the dealer why this happened (they think i'm a nice girl that drives cute car slow) and they said it could be a bad batch of struts...But seriously, has this happened to anybody else? Are OEM struts that weak or am I just driving it too hard to keep up with the DFWM speeds?

Thanks and happy holidays!
    Chris

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't answer the shock question. I have a car 10 years older than yours.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

It's all good, thanks for the welcome :)

Welcome Christina!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Welcome, have fun with your Miata (MX-5).
    Last edited by cone-cerned; 12-20-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard...have not heard that about shocks being warranted out.

PS
    The OEM shocks are not designed for 'spirited' driving, they are more for comfort. Save your pennies!

OIC, I'll have coilovers and sway bars for sure, at the very least :)

Thanks!

strathound

2012 PRHT here. No problems yet with the Bilsteins, only have 1000 miles on her so far. I will say that it is awesome to see a female on these boards that drives the car hard. Hope to see you out at some of the track days or autoX events next year.

Michael

Welcome to the top down, rear wheel drive, fun!!!!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Not familiar with any shock failure issues on NC's. They are fairly soft, but not prone to failure that I'm aware of.

If you get onto a road with curves, it'll be the Speed3's trying to keep up with you. :)
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I haven't done any solos in this car yet, did a couple in the 6, thought I was going to tip to car over, so yeah top down RWD FTW!

Mike have you found any roll bar / cage that fits with the PRHT? Everything I've seen is for NA or NB or NC soft top maybe. Perhaps I should look through the forum before I start asking more questions :)

OZMDD, this is true! I can almost always at least get out in front in traffic, but they take me on the straights, of course. It all evens out though

A roll bar that would work with the PRHT would be too low to be any more effective than the factory hoops, which ought to be fine for anything other than falling off a cliff or a high-speed track rollover.

Nearly every owner finds that a sway bar upgrade, lower/stiffer springs (even very mild) and an alignment will make the NC extremely stable and fun. Obviously, you can go bigger, depending on your plans, but the car doesn't need a ton done to it to really come alive.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Mike have you found any roll bar / cage that fits with the PRHT? Everything I've seen is for NA or NB or NC soft top maybe. Perhaps I should look through the forum before I start asking more questions :)
    We were talking about this some at the Weds night thing at Kellers. I didn't think the factory hoops were classified as a roll cage on most tracks. Turns out, it seems that most tracks consider that sufficient. However, I for one would love to install a roll bar at the same height as these hoops as added extra precaution. Never hurts to be extra safe. Hope someone eventually develops something. My worry is that in a flip over that those two roll hoops will dig into the ground with their small amount of surface area. A bar across there would give greater surface area and help keep your helmet off the ground ... I think. Curious what other think.

In the meantime, I plan on keeping the rubber side down.

MS

strathound

P.S. Nice color choice.

I just slightly worry b/c my head sticks up above the bars...but hey, if you flip a Miata, you're definitely doing something wrong Thanks guys! I'll try to come out to Kellers soon!

Here you go
    https://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php...%20%202%20DIAG

No higher than stock, but stronger.

Nice, thanks!

New girls are always welcome!! ; )
    Congrats on the NC, I just sold a True Red last year....Tein Flex Coilovers are the way to go....I loved mine : )
    99 Miata Black