Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question removing rotors

Default Question removing rotors

I am thinking about getting my front rotors turned this weekend, theyre warped like whoa. I have heard about how diffiicult the Civic rotors are to get off due to the small screws that are on so tight you need an impact wrench to remove them, if that works, most people just end up drilling them through to get the rotor off.

I am wondering if there is any difficulty of this nature in removing the '94 Miata rotors.

A quick search on the Miata board brought up this thread...
    http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimateb...=039160#000000
    Do the front rotors have this threaded hole for pressing the rotors off if theyre rusted?? Because I have a fear that they will be, as referenced by my previous problem of the wheels being rusted to the hubs. On the civics, this hole has the infamous screw I was referring to.

Any particular shops you guys can recomend around the Addison/Carrolton area?? I have a shop my friend reccomended that I will call tomorrow.

Oh yea, while im down there is there any other maintenance that should be taken care of on a 100k+ car??

Thanks guys.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Default Re: Question removing rotors

Looks like they pretty much covered it. Nor do I have a recommendation on shops for this, sorry.

I know...wasted post
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Hehe, its all good, I just want to know so I dont waste the time taking off the wheels this weekend.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I've never had a problem with removing the OEM rotors on my '99, and yes, they did have that threaded hole for removing them. The '99 has the exact same brakes as a '94-'97, so it would be a safe bet to assume that yours are the same.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The hole threaded is the same dimensions as the Bolt that holds the spare and jack down. Ask me how I know.

Chris

Then there is always a BFH.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I alway put a VERY thin layer of caliper grease on the new calipers to prevent seizing to the hubs.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I just changed my rotors on the Miata for the first time earlier this month. The rotors were rusted on and no matter how big the BFH was I couldn't get them off, but using the bolt that holds down the spare did.

When they pop off they make a surprisingly loud pop.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I changed the front rotors on the 92B&T and it was as easy as one smack with a deadblow hammer and they popped right loose.

You can take your rotors down to many autoparts stores to get 'em turned... just remember to make sure to check the thickness with a caliper. If you turn 'em down too far you'll need to replace them.

RJ

Suspension Modder

Default Re: Question removing rotors

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    I am thinking about getting my front rotors turned this weekend, theyre warped like whoa. I have heard about how diffiicult the Civic rotors are to get off due to the small screws that are on so tight you need an impact wrench to remove them, if that works, most people just end up drilling them through to get the rotor off.
    No, Miatas do not have the evil little screws that Civics have. I used to own a CRX, so I know all about them. FWIW I was always able to remove the screws by whacking them counterclockwise with a sharp-edged cold chisel; I never had to drill them out. However, I removed the rotors on a regular basis due to track use, so I could understand how you could have bigger problems with a high-mileage street car.

Also, I am a believer in the philosophy that if your Japanese car has warped rotors, you should replace them, not turn them. Turned rotors will frequently re-warp. Plus, if your car has 100k+ miles, the rotors are probably toast anyways. If the rotors are still good and you REALLY want to turn them, get it done using one of the machines that turns the rotor while it's installed on the car. However, getting back to my previous point... turning the rotors removes material (duh), and even if the rotors were OK when you started, they may be too thin by the time they've been turned enough to fix the warp.
    Chris W. 96M Miata :)

^Yea ive recently abandoned the idea of turning them.
    I am eyeing a set of Brembo Blanks

94+ Rotors do have the screw. 93- do not.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Those are nice rotors and considering it cost about $25 per rotor to turn. It seems obvious.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

^Pep boys will do it for $6 /rotor, but I question their quality...

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    94+ Rotors do have the screw. 93- do not.
    My '92 has the screw hole to pop the rotors off, and so did my Brebo Replacement rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    ^Pep boys will do it for $6 /rotor, but I question their quality...
    Quality? How can you screw it up? Most Auto Parts stores have a machine that turns them automatically. Idiot proof.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Hmmm...yea, good point.

I still think these rotors are toast though, they shake like a mofo, id rather get a new set, who knows if these have been turned or not.

Chassis Designer

Any idea of the size of the screw that fits in the rotor? My car didnt come with a spare tire, or screw, or even carpet for that matter. I dont mind going to the hardware store and buying a bunch of sizes of screws but I would rather make one trip, and I know Murphy and his law will not allow this.

Thanks

I think it is an M8 x 1.25 but I could be wrong. I've always used the bolt from the spare or the jack if needed (and it isn't always needed).

I have never needed more than a tap from my rubber mallet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast