Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any dd suspension recommendations?

Default Any dd suspension recommendations?

Hello, im looking for some real world experience. Specifically, to cope with our lunar surface roads. Ive got a '99 base which i drive about 70 miles a day from Coppell to Denton to Las Colinas and back to Coppell. Im looking at the FM stage 2 or the FM vmaxx with their sways. Im concerned about the quality & longevity of the vmaxx's though. Any recommendations for this situation? Looking to spend around $1000. I keep hearing the FM springs with Illuminas are the way to go in my situation but am unsure.

Also, if anybody has an FM 2 equipped car and wouldnt mind giving me a ride please PM me. TIA.

If you want ride quality, I'd go with the Illumina setup over the VMaxx. I dont' know what FCM (fatcat motorsports) go for these days, but you will have a much nicer ride on those. I also think Koni Yellows ride nicely.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

I have a set of Vmaxx on my 95. Had them on for about a year now. I haven't heard too much about the longevity of them. Mine are none adjustable and I personally like them. I don't track the car and commute from Arlington to Dallas everyday. My office is in a trucking/warehouse area so the roads are crap. Some people say they are a little bouncy, I don't really mind. I'm sitting high with pinch weld height being, 5.25F 5.5R

I've got a 99 with a set of BC coilovers. I haven't really driven the car much since I got it. They are adjustable. When I bought the car they were all on full tight. That was spine bouncy. I put them to full soft and took it around the block. Much smoother but too soft. I haven't had the time to drive it as its pulled apart for upgrades.

I have heard and read many times about the Illuminas and FM springs being the go to daily street setup. Comfort, handling, height adjustability if you go with the sleeves.

Moton 4-ways.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

/\ very helpful

i was considering the vmaxxs because of the ride height adjustability but id rather have a better damper. Im a little concerned when i get wheels ill have 4x4 ride height though.

Quote Originally Posted by 786 View Post
    /\ very helpful
    You have to pay the troll toll.

Driver

i have the FM Illumina setup.... i love it!... soft or firm, you choose
    JDSM, creating innovative products and ideas to increase your Miata's performance since 2014. GO ZOOM ZOOM!

We put a set of GR2s/Excel G with 46mm Fat Cat bumpstops on stock springs on our '94 that worked well for DD. A lot less than $1,000; not great for autocross; but much better than the worn out Showa's with 140k on them.
    Last edited by EricJ; 01-22-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

I spoke to a buddy of mine that has gone through several setups tonight and, for my needs, he was suggesting ots koni yellows or bilstein hd's with gc's in the standard 375/250 rate. A few others have recommended this setup, most seem to prefer the koni shock over the bilstein unit though. Ive also been told 350/250 would be the perfect rate for me by a couple uk suspension guys (p5 & gaz). In the states im told 450/300 and other higher rate combos. Thoughts?

Default Re: Any dd suspension recommendations?

I recently drove a Miata with the Koni/GC combo, and it was pretty darn decent on some not-so-perfect roads in Garland. Passengered in a car with a similar setup several years ago and was surprised with how comfortable it was.

I'm also a big proponent of FM springs. Only tried them on Bilsteins (LE shocks in both cases), never Illuminas as of yet. Great for hustling around town or on a road trip. Larger bumps in the road can get a little unsettling, but I'm considering eventually swapping from coilovers to his setup late this year.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by 786 View Post
    I spoke to a buddy of mine that has gone through several setups tonight and, for my needs, he was suggesting ots koni yellows or bilstein hd's with gc's in the standard 375/250 rate. A few others have recommended this setup, most seem to prefer the koni shock over the bilstein unit though. Ive also been told 350/250 would be the perfect rate for me by a couple uk suspension guys (p5 & gaz). In the states im told 450/300 and other higher rate combos. Thoughts?
    Bilstein HDs with 350/250 is the way.

I've got Koni/GC on my '94. 450/325 rates. I can't say its comfortable TBH, but they work very well for autocross. If you go w/ Koni's, Id say keep the rates lower.

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    I recently drove a Miata with the Koni/GC combo, and it was pretty darn decent on some not-so-perfect roads in Garland. Passengered in a car with a similar setup several years ago and was surprised with how comfortable it was.
    What were the rates on the car you drove? I'm just a little gun shy on going too stiff as I drive the bloody thing so much right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq View Post
    Bilstein HDs with 350/250 is the way.
    Agreed on 350/250, but why HD's specifically? I know they're rebuildable and last ages but I've heard their damping leaves much to be desired. Many tell me Koni yellows are the way to go, shops like TDR etc. Is the twin tube more compliant? Also, how much must one lower to warrant the Bilstein Sports over the HD's?

Quote Originally Posted by rmonheim View Post
    I've got Koni/GC on my '94. 450/325 rates. I can't say its comfortable TBH, but they work very well for autocross. If you go w/ Koni's, Id say keep the rates lower.
    I'll be doing max rates of 350/250 so I would imagine it would be a bit more tolerable.

Pick whatever you want. MSM Bilsteins with 350-400/250-300 is the best set-up I've driven other than ASTs.

FilthyMonkeyRacing

I know im the new guy on the block but i guess i will put in my two cents...

I think you original choice of the FM vmaxx Stage 2 is the best dollar for dollar scenerio but obviously i cant speak for the comfort level but for what you would pay for konis,springs,bumpstops(at least FatCat), boot covers and you already are at the same price as the FM package w/o sway bars or height adjustability plus if you add Ground Control coilovers then your at the price of some Bilstein PSS9 coiovers or similar quality coilovers but i dont have any personal experience to give you just the obvious pointing out of the dollar

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMonkeyRacing View Post
    I know im the new guy on the block but i guess i will put in my two cents...

I think you original choice of the FM vmaxx Stage 2 is the best dollar for dollar scenerio but obviously i cant speak for the comfort level but for what you would pay for konis,springs,bumpstops(at least FatCat), boot covers and you already are at the same price as the FM package w/o sway bars or height adjustability plus if you add Ground Control coilovers then your at the price of some Bilstein PSS9 coiovers or similar quality coilovers but i dont have any personal experience to give you just the obvious pointing out of the dollar
    I personally went with cheapo coil over sleeves and honestly, they work just fine. Paid $30 for all 4. I got used springs in the rates I wanted as well. After everything was said and done, I don't think I paid more than $750 for the entire setup (inc. new konis). I just had to bargain shop a bit.

But if you just want to plug n play, the FM stuff may be the way to go.
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

Another thought: if you're just tooling around in the street, get a set of sways and some GR-2s or Koni Strt. You'll have a cheap setup that is fine for the street and will be more fun than what you've got.

Side note: I've got a set of Koni Strt that came on my '99. they have ~9k miles on them. I'd clear them out of my garage for $150.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

I appreciate the input, and the offer, but I'll be doing some hill country runs (Twisted Sister) in the near future with some fairly potent machinery (Exige, 911, etc) and I'd rather not be caught out. I'm looking to do a more thorough upgrade than just shocks. Some form of springs/shocks/sway(s) would be preferable. Currently leaning towards the FM2 because it'll be an easy upgrade backed by a decent company and it's all inclusive. Alternatively, I could piece meal together my own version with Koni's or HD's, GC's, and an RB front sway. I just don't know if it's worth the added effort to go to those lengths.

What would really help would be a ride in an FM2 car and a Koni or HD/GC car for comparisons sake. Suspension is such a subjective thing, one man's comfort is another man's misery. I've karted since childhood, and owned several cars with fairly stiff suspension, I'm not looking to go that route with this one. I bought it as my beater car but I've grown to love it, I would like to lavish a proper suspension setup on it. The car has great bones, it deserves it. Reminds me a lot of a kart. My current commute necessitates a softer setup though so therein lies the dilemma.

If you want proper: go to 949racing and order Xida Clubsports and their sway bar package. You have a car that does it all. Rides nice and out handles just about everything on the road. FM's offerings are ok, but they're not on par with Xidas. Do it right, do it once. If you compromise your suspension, you will be miserable. Xidas are pricey, but it is the BEST mod you can do to your car (maybe roll bar is close).
    Last edited by MoonieGT; 01-22-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    If you want proper: go to 949racing and order Xida Clubsports and their sway bar package. You have a car that does it all. Rides nice and out handles just about everything on the road. FM's offerings are ok, but they're not on par with Xidas. Do it right, do it once. If you compromise your suspension, you will be miserable. Xidas are pricey, but it is the BEST mod you can do to your car (maybe roll bar is close).
    And if you plan on driving in a manner that really puts your new suspension to work, you should have a roll bar in the car. Think of it as your first suspension mod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast