Thread: Market for Engine/Trans/Diff

Default Market for Engine/Trans/Diff

What's a fair price for a good condition 99-00 engine? 5spd tranny? How about torsen rear diff setup? I'm doing some work on my car and want to see how these would fit in my budget (to sell).

The engine and torsen are the main value. Tranny is pretty common and prob worth a couple hundred bucks, maybe three tops.

If the motor has good compression numbers and reasonable miles, probably worth $600ish. Including ecu, wiring, etc? Adds value.

I think the going rate for a torsen (diff, housing, stub axles) is around $700, give or take. If it is a type 2, maybe more. Again, miles and what is included will affect the price.

Are you parting out the entire car, doing a V8 swap? If so, you can make the most $$ by packaging those high-value items with the needed accessories/parts to swap them into older miatas, which is where you will find customers. (me, for example )
    Last edited by OZMDD; 12-01-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Driver

I think you're off by a factor of two on the diff. I think I paid 350 for my torsen.

With axles and housing?? Man, I'm an easy mark!
    Polished Turd Racing

So there is atleast a grand there between the diff, trans, and engine, and probably more with the additional "swap" parts included. I'm working up a v8 swap very soon :)

I had a scare after finding a shaving in my oil this weekend, I would have been in the market for a '99 engine. I prolly would've paid $500 or so.

Turns out it was a casting flash from the head.
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

I want to say I've seen the bp4w go for a little more than that. In good condition I've seen them closer to $900 or $1000. Now, some of those are places like richardson jdm and some on CL. Asking price doesn't always mean too much tho.

Yes, but keep in mind that JDM engines come with warranty and are low-mileage. Not to say that his engine isn't solid. There is a 32K mile 1.8 on m.net with dyno charts and loads of new parts for $1300, as a data point. It sounds like the OP has a realistic expectation for his parts, as $1k is a good ball-park for the drivetrain.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Yes, but keep in mind that JDM engines come with warranty and are low-mileage. Not to say that his engine isn't solid. There is a 32K mile 1.8 on m.net with dyno charts and loads of new parts for $1300, as a data point. It sounds like the OP has a realistic expectation for his parts, as $1k is a good ball-park for the drivetrain.
    True talk.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Yes, but keep in mind that JDM engines come with warranty and are low-mileage...
    And JDM engines frequently have oil sludge issues due to not having regular oil changes and being driven for very short trips without getting the engine up to temp. Every one I've bought has had oil sludge, but was still a good engine.

And I agree on the total value, but think the engine is worth a little more and the diff a little less. Too bad since I have a diff for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    And JDM engines frequently have oil sludge issues due to not having regular oil changes and being driven for very short trips without getting the engine up to temp. Every one I've bought has had oil sludge, but was still a good engine.

And I agree on the total value, but think the engine is worth a little more and the diff a little less. Too bad since I have a diff for sale...

Also, I've noticed that the coolant system is pretty much solid rust in the couple I've gotten. Several flushes over an amount of time and they were fine.

If you have not done anything yet on an engine, you might give a call to Track Dog, he has a few too many engines setting in the back of the shop. You never know what he has to sell you.