Thread: Oil change frequencey?

Default Oil change frequencey?

Ahhh... so gorgeous today I went ahead and did my ANNUAL spring oil change. Wow, that was some nasty looking oil that came out.

I put about 1200 miles on it last year (since the last change). That's driving to and doing about 12 AutoX events, so maybe 5% are "hard miles".

Should I be changing my oil more frequently? I just don't remember it looking this bad the last couple of years. My car has 122,000 miles and is leaking a little at the rear main seal, which means I'm dumping in about 1/3 quart of Rotella T6 every other event... I figure this is helping, not hurting the situation.

I wasn't hung-over this morning, so maybe that's the problem...

Seriously, should I be really be changing the oil more often? I could understand frying it after a couple track days, but AutoX?
    Last edited by TexasStig; 02-17-2013 at 10:43 PM.

If the only mileage your car gets is to/from and at autocrosses, I would change more frequently - at least every 6 months. Oil degrades from time and exposure to combustion byproducts as well as from mileage. Call it cheap insurance.

I change the oil on the S2000 every 3 months, regardless of mileage, but I daily drive the car, so it does rack up more mileage than yours.

The wife's car (which sees less mileage than mine and no hard use) gets an annual oil change with extended life Mobil1.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

send a sample to Blackstone to get a very definitive answer.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."