Thread: Installed a Walbro 255lph pump this morning...

Default Installed a Walbro 255lph pump this morning...

I went by and got a GSS342 from Dallas Mustang for $89.99 and installed it this morning. It is the same pump for the 96-98 Cobra's.

I think that it is a direct bolt in for 94-97 miata's, on the 89-93, there are a couple of options. The pump is 1/4" taller then the stock pump, so you can either get the kit from Jackson Racing that has a shim to lower the base upon which the fuel pump sits, or you can get the dremmel out.

I chose the dremel. The fuel pump inserts into a cone type recepticle (kind of like the funnel on a refueling aircraft.) You can cut the funnel off and use some high pressure fuel line (1/4" I believe) and secure the pump to the freshly cut hard fuel line with clamps (mine came in the mustang kit...)

It was about an hour job, and now I dont have to worry about the 14 year old fuel pump having to work so hard for the turbo.

It is such a strange concept for me that the poitive and negative wires are submerged in fuel....I would have never tried this....

Now I just need a wideband and some time.....

Chris

you and i are on the same plane as far as mods go.... i need a WB also
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Funny.. I installed the JR version last night!

I tried to get the JR version because it was on sale, but when I called they were already sold out...

Do you have an A/F gauge? does it peg out rich when you are in boost?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    I tried to get the JR version because it was on sale, but when I called they were already sold out...

Do you have an A/F gauge? does it peg out rich when you are in boost?

Chris
    I have a gauge, but I havn't taken it for a test drive.... I finished around 9 last night and I would have had to move 2 cars to get it out of the garage and I was lazy. I confirmed it started and came inside. I will take it for a ride a little later.

Prior to the pump, it rain lean at idle and stayed between 14 and 15 while in boost. I have the JR AFPR, and I was under the assumption that it would keep the pump in line but we will see.

I got mine as part of the BBK. I needed to to get the JR 1.6 fueling electronics. I will be installing that this afternoon, and hopefully the big crank pulley, but I will test drive first.

You guys always forget about me, I keep these pumps in stock since I use them on almost every FI car. Just no love, and Chris, I am one block away from Dallas Mustang.

As for Dremeling for fit, that is not necessary. You did use a new fuel line correct? Those crazy spring clamps will cause an air leak on the pressure line when reinstalled on the old line causing problems, just like on the radiator hoses.

Also, while you had the pump out you could have lowered the pump so you won't have fuel pick up issues in the turns. Since you will be using more fuel, sometimes this can be an issue. You need to listen to the Doc when it comes to FI sometimes.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    As for Dremeling for fit, that is not necessary. You did use a new fuel line correct? Those crazy spring clamps will cause an air leak on the pressure line when reinstalled on the old line causing problems, just like on the radiator hoses.
    Gary
    So how do you mount the pump without cutting the funnel off?

Also, I am gonna need a 2.5" exhaust, and I saw that Goodwin Racing pipe in your garage on Sunday.... can you cut me a deal???? Maybe a deal on the FM Pipe you have on your car now???

What do you mean by funnel on the fuel pump install?

As for the mid pipe, you sly dog you, I am going to do some dyno testing to compare the pipes. I personally believe it is to large in diameter and will loose a lot of the bottom end. WHen we did a back to back dyno test with the FM 2 1/4" diameter we say 5 HP at the top, but lost 5 lbs. of good torque. For your turbo car this would be a good option, however.

If you want to wait a little bit, I might be willing to sell one or the other after we dyno test it.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

On the fuel pump assembly, the fuel pump nipple(?) slips into a funnel that receives the fuel pump. If you dont cut the funnel off, the pump is too long to put the base back on the fuel pump.

And yes I can wait a bit... I could even volunteer my car to do some turbo comparisons on the mid-pipes....hehehehe.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    On the fuel pump assembly, the fuel pump nipple(?) slips into a funnel that receives the fuel pump. If you dont cut the funnel off, the pump is too long to put the base back on the fuel pump.

And yes I can wait a bit... I could even volunteer my car to do some turbo comparisons on the mid-pipes....hehehehe.

Chris
    Could this be a difference between 1.6 fuel pump assemblies and others?

Gary- a pic of what Chris is talking about can be seen on pages 3 and 4 of the instructions that I used to install mine.

What you can do and it helps the pump be lower is the L bracket that fits on the bottom has a square alignment hole and a round hole for the screw mount. You can use the screw in the square hole (this sounds really crazy a rond peg in a square hole) and reattach. I would add a tie-wrap around the pump for added strength.

That might be a good idea to test it on your car as well Chris. We can work something out.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

Gary,

Just shoot me a PM, name the time and I will bring the car...

Chris